Using pipe benders

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by billhicks, Jul 8, 2008.

1. billhicks

billhicks Member

Just bought a pipe bender 18255. Having previously using springs....

Is it normal for pipe benders to thin the pipe where it bends and leave tram lines?

It bends the pipe fine but the pipe doesn't look great after it's bent it. I used the guides as well.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Of course the pipe thins - it has been stretched.

Tramlines indicate either a poor quality roller and guide or bad technique or cheap and nasty tube.

3. billhicks

billhicks Member

The problem seems to be I can't fit the pipe + guide under the wheel properly as it's so tight even when the bender is fully opened

4. GKU

GKU New Member

When the bender is FULLY opened it is not at its widest point - open it fully then take it back an inch or so . Also check the roller , if the screw (or nut) which tightens it is too tight/loose it fecks up your bends ;)

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

practice, practice and more practice, benders are a real faff even when you are used to them so keep on practicing ;)

6. billhicks

billhicks Member

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

You are using a 15mm guide with 15mm pipe? trying moving the arms in or out a bit.

8. billhicks

billhicks Member

I'm sure I'm using the right guides.

It's the same on both sides, neither 15mm or 22mm pipe _ it's guide will fit under the wheel. And I've tried moving the closing the arms in a bit.

The pipe + guide is like 5mm too big. I can bend a pipe but it takes some serious effort and like I said before, the pipe looks like **** afterwards.

I'm wondering if the supplied guides are incorrectly machined?

9. wetneck

wetneck New Member

It needs loosning up, throw it off the roof a few times,and then out of the van,it,ll bend perfect every time after that?

10. billhicks

billhicks Member

11. rome60

rome60 New Member

Is it made in China not made very well:D if the guides are tight it will tram line & if they are undersized the pipe will ripple.Trouble with portable benders you can"t adjust the stop & roller but having said that it must be faulty unless it needs loosening up smear some machine oil on formers & guides.Also you will find copper tube varies in the temper some is hard & some soft.I have a Hilmor floor standing bender,if i dare say it 28 years service still going strong but have got through many guides.Glad to see you still on copper doing some bending showing a bit of skill in the trade.;);)

12. Omniscient Polymath

Omniscient Polymath New Member

13. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Get your money back and invest in a Hilmor about £50, there are a lot of cheap benders on the market and they are useless.

14. rome60

rome60 New Member

just looked at your picture guide is well oversized,it should be at 90 degrees to the former when locked up ready to pull the bend.Contact the makers regarding the guides.;)

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

and don't try bending right on the end of the pipe, it will just collapse.

16. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Chinese rubbish. Get Hilmor or Rothenberger...or maybe just buy a new guide.

17. Mr Ian

Mr Ian New Member

Chinese rubbish. Get Hilmor or Rothenberger...or
    maybe just buy a new guide.

Or a Monument (do they still do them?) - all the same and the same spec, unlike the one you've wasted £30 on - send it back and invest £50 that'll last a damn long time!

18. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Hilmor is the best, get your money back & keep your eyes pealed, cause there can be some good deals on Hilmor.

19. ripitout

ripitout New Member

look at the benders picture it states 12-15 mm oh dear are you using the 12mm side of it,good luck when you try it with 22.

20. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Hmm, something is amiss - the bender 18255 is for 15mm and 22mm, yours says 12mm, 15mm and 7/8ths ?

Odd!