Vaillant ecoTec plus 831 leaking internally, pressure drop, no hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joseph O'Connor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Joseph O'Connor

Joseph O'Connor New Member

Hi all

We have just moved into a property and have found that the pressure on the boiler keeps dropping to zero.
    • I needed to top it up 3 or four times in the past few weeks with the last time only lasting me 3 days.
    • Since Saturday evening we have had no hot water coming out of the taps. We turn on the taps and no water comes out of the hot taps ( cold water is Ok though).
    • Hot water came back on again this afternoon.......
    • A leak has coincided with the drops in pressure with about 1/2 a litre being collected each time from drips coming from underneath the casing ( 1st and 2nd times from rear right corner, 3rd and 4th times from the front of the casing)
    I had a plumber out this morning who refused to look at it as he said "it would be opening up a can of worms"
    I have read online today that it could be the diverter, a rubber hose or a filter.

Any ideas anyone?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You can safely remove the front cover yourself simply by loosening the screw in the centre underneath and then pressing the two clips left and right, the cover pulls out at the bottom and then lifts off. From there you should be able to see where the leak is originating from, post a couple of pictures and we'll see if we can advise from there.
    Alternatively if you look on the Vaillant website they have a find an installer feature use that to find a local guy who knows what their looking at, Sounds like your fitter was not too familiar with these boilers.
    Incidentally are you getting any fault codes on the display, They always start with an F then two numbers.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Joseph O'Connor

Joseph O'Connor New Member

Thank you for replying.
    I had an F22 fault code when this first started about 6 weeks ago.
    I discovered that turning the right hand valve to open stops the leak. When I closed it I got my hot water back but the leak started again, with the pressure dropping from 1.6 to 1.2 in about 4hrs.
    I popped the front off also and took some picks as you requested. The dripping is coming from the front corner of the casing.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

4. Dave does Gas

Post from an oxygen thief

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  5. Dave does Gas

F22 is the code for low water pressure, which would tie in with what you are saying. Im afraid there is not enough detail in your photos. Can you pull down the facia and try another picture please a firm two handed pull with equal pressure on both sides will bring it down to the service position.