Valspar smelly paint - how to fix?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tessa Harris, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tessa Harris

Tessa Harris New Member

Hi,

We bought a bad batch of Valspar paint which contained bacteria, smelled like cat urine. We’ve used BIN sealant which seems to have done the trick. But after covering that using BIN white paint the smell has come back.

Should we just use sealant again or?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Tessa Harris

Tessa Harris New Member

Yes I went through it, but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on how to fix it.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Contact Valspar or B & Q.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

This reads like you have applied 2 coats of BIN already?

6. Tessa Harris

Tessa Harris New Member

Yes we have, and the smell returned when we put on a new coat. (A week between sealant and new coat).

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Perhaps refer back to Valspar or B&Q as suggested in post No4. May even get a refund.

8. Andrew Innes

Andrew Innes New Member

Hi all! I have decided to create a quick survey to help everyone affected, including myself, by Valspar's terrible paint odour.

Please click the survey below to answer some very quick multiple choice questions on your experience and solutions (if any) so far.

If we can better understand everyone else's situation, then we will be more informed to take the right course of action ourselves.

Results from the survey may also help victims to push for greater compensation if they can show Valspar are insisting customers take steps that are proven to not solve the problem over the long term.

Please get involved and contribute to the survey regardless if you have found a solution or haven't even started yet! Everyone's input is highly valuable to each other and our strength grows immeasurably by sticking together and providing facts that Valspar cannot dispute.

Many thanks and good luck to you all!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q7NCL2B

9. AnitaH

AnitaH New Member

As everyone else we too used Valspar , in our hall way and corridor in white on the walls and ceiling ,white on the ceilings in the main bedroom and lounge,the lounge walls we used Velspar grey and the main feature floating wall in a different grey by valspar, this was proffesionally carried out in September 2017 and again like some it's only in the last couple of months we started to notice this smell, firstly we also thought gas so had the gas fitter come and check ,then we heard about the BBC report .yesterday I phoned B@Q who said we needed to take photos of any receipt and barcodes we had and they would pass on to Valspar which they did.Today we received a call from Valspar very apologetic and explained the reason behind the smell then offered us £740 as a one off final payment to which I just said is that your best offer and he came back with £940 ,he has sent me an email with the instructions we need to follow to get rid of the smell and the the amount they are prepared to pay , breaking down this offer of £940 after paying out for paint and painters cost we believe they are offering us approximately £50/£100 for all the dispuption and disturbance this will cause us.