Vapour Barrier queries

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Pikerray, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

What tape is used to seal up vapour barriers on walls & ceilings and on overlaps ?

What mastic is used to seal up vapour barriers between walls & floor areas ?

Thanks

2. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

Anyone ???

3. tph1

tph1 Member

its a wide (say 3 inches) aluminium foil sticky backed tape

4. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Vapour barrier is placed behind the plasterboards,on the inside of the walls normally poly sheet,i have used gaffer tape before around sockets and joins,Tyvek make a special purpose tape for the job its called house wrap.THis purpose made for what you need.Aluminium foil tape is used for insulation to seal joins and cuts

5. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

What about the mastic that's used to seal up vapour barriers between walls & floor areas ?

I assume ordinary waterproof frame mastic will be OK.

6. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

i dont know about framing mastic but Gyproc sealant is actually made for the job of sealing holes and also acoustic performance i would recommend you try some.nice large tubes as well

7. Perry525

Perry525 New Member

Its good that you are installing a vapour barrier, not only will it keep most of your water vapour in your home, it will block up all those holes that let your expensive heat escape.
    As far as I know only Visqueen make a dedicated tape to use on polythene vapour barriers.
    I hope you have plans to deal with the captured water vapour? A de-humidifier perhaps? As its a very fine gas that can penetrate almost everything and it has a propensity to find its way through the smallest hole and will happily make its way to the nearest cold spot to condense - if not in one room then another.

8. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

You want acoustic mastic as its very flexible and never dries out so will be able to stay sealed with any movement

9. conlan

conlan Member

Its good that you are installing a vapour barrier,
    not only will it keep most of your water vapour in
    your home, it will block up all those holes that let
    your expensive heat escape.
    As far as I know only Visqueen make a dedicated tape
    to use on polythene vapour barriers.
    I hope you have plans to deal with the captured water
    vapour? A de-humidifier perhaps? As its a very fine
    gas that can penetrate almost everything and it has a
    propensity to find its way through the smallest hole
    and will happily make its way to the nearest cold
    spot to condense - if not in one room then another.

Is a vapour barrier standard on traditional construction in england? Is the problem being overstated i cant imagine homes with vapour barriers would have de-humidifier

10. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

As far as you know Perry! TYvek make the tape and have been doing it for many many years.DO you know how a vapour barrier worksand the exact purpose of it behind the PB?

11. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Conlan even though pikeaary hasnt said i will hazard guess its a loft conversion that he is doing.

12. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

2 storey rear extension with dormers.

Providing there is sufficient ventilation there is no need for de-humidifiers.