Variable Drip Swan Neck Kitchen Tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Michael....., Jan 2, 2021.

1. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Hi. I'm new to Swan neck kitchen taps and coming to terms with the fact they drip after use for a bit. But sometimes they drip every 4 seconds for a long time. I removed the Swan neck and could see that no water was flowing so the hot and cold levers and ceramic cartridges are doing their job. But I don't understand why sometimes the tap will drip constantly for a long time (I've not tested for how long) and Other times when you turn off the tap/s it only drips once or twice and then about a tablespoon overnight. Is it condensation in the tap because I've noticed that it is worse when the outside of the Swan neck has condensation on it following running very cold water through a previously hot tap, or another explanation. Any advice would be great. Taps are Cooke & Lewis 58A Deck-Mounted Dual-Lever Bridge Mixer Kitchen Tap Chrome

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

All ceramic cartridges drip after a few months use and it seems to depends on how much how much fine dirt there is in the water and the hardness of the water. It’s the design in my view. Conventional taps screw down the seal and can exert considerable force and adjust for wear on the washer. Quarter turn ceramic rely on the ceramic face being kept clean by rubbing action of the ceramic and there is no allowance for wear.

it’s easy enough to replace the cartridge.

talking of swan necks, again it relies on a few o rings and plastic rings which will wear out after 5 or 6 years. I have seen a 10 year old which had practically worn away the metal and could not be repaired

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  3. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Thanks for this. It would explain things if my taps were old but they are only 10 months old and have behaved like this since they were fitted. They were an upgrade by my housing association who did a kitchen replacement and the Swan neck tap that came with that were even worse!
    Also what I don't understand is where is the water coming from. As I said in the original post I've taken the Swan neck off to expose the water supply and its a completely still reservoir so no fresh water is getting to the Swan neck from either of the taps which are obviously working in stopping the flow.
    I know I should get out more but it's so annoying lol

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Air getting in at bottom of swan neck that is full of water. Vaseline on the rubber on new rubber may fix

5. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Hi thanks for this. Please can you explain this a bit further I'm intrigued. I'm assuming you mean air getting in at the end of the neck in this picture not the end water flows out from? Trying to upload pic!!!
    And assuming I've got that right how does air getting in there push water up 6 inches of tap neck and over the bend for it to drip out. That's really got me confused

I'm not questioning your explanation I'm sure you're probably onto something but for my own peace of mind I need to understand the physics of it. I was rubbish at Physics

6. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Can't upload picture but guess you know which end I'm querying

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

What Wayners was saying was an air leak at the bottom of the swan neck can suck air up the spout propelled by the flowing water when the tap is open (Venturi effect for the physics minded). The other possibility is that the aerator, which unscrews and is at the top end of the swan neck often has a filter and can be full of crud inc limescale. This will hold water and drip. Try cleaning it out.

BTW I have seen expensive Franke taps drip after a few months. Replacing the cartridge solved this. It’s likely the original fitter was not scrupulous enough to ensure plaster and other building dust from capped off pipes did not make it into the tap.

8. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Thanks for this I'm getting it now I think. In the interests of me not going mad over this can you answer one more thing for me. If hypothetically I was to not use the tap for a few days would the dripping eventually stop completely because there wouldn't be any water left to drip out...... Actually two questions sorry Am I also correct in thinking that this water that is dripping out is not coming from the mains but is water left in the tap neck itself as evidenced by when I took the Swan neck off and the residual water was completely still in the bottom of the fixture and not moving?
    The reason I'm asking for this clarification is because if true then I'd probably be better just trying to ignore it as it isn't costing me money but I'm clearly obsessing about it. Thanks in advance and for your patience both of you.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Air bubble gets in so the increased volume (air) inside neck that pushes water out top (drips)

Or like the syphon as mentioned above as that's what's happening

10. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Thanks Wayners please see my earlier reply.... Your thoughts on that would be very welcome. Mike

11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

You can try your experiment. Do remember, when you turn off the water, the swan neck is full of water till the bend at top, the rest falls out due to gravity. There is also dissolved air under compression in the incoming cold feed. This will expand within the swan neck and bubble up perhaps taking a few drops past the bend in the neck !

12. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Thanks! It's quite technical isn't it. Just to be clear I am correct in thinking that the water I'm seeing is not a leak as such and just water left in the neck after the taps are off ie not coming from the supply?

13. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

If you have taken the swan neck off and with both taps closed, if you can’t see any water flowing out from the sump of the swan neck, everything’s good.

14. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Thanks yes I did that the other day in a moment of sheer frustration. I made sure the taps were both off and removed the neck and yes the sump (was wondering what to call it) was completely still like a mill pond so I'm ok as you say. Thanks so much

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You said its not the cartridge so it has to be the water held in swan neck. The only way to stop that driping is to seal with new rubber or vaseline at base.

Yes the Swan neck stays full of water

16. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Thanks I'll Google how to do that and then build up the courage to have a go sometime. Thanks so much

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Put some tape around the Swan neck base to seal off as an experiment. If it still drips your going to have to take another look at cartridge

18. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Good idea thanks

19. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

You have checked the cartridges and confirmed that they are shutting off the flow correctly.

All swan neck taps hold a quantity of water after they are switched off. The water beyond the neck apex will drain out in a few seconds, but the water in the upright stem will remain there. Certainly at this time of the year, the cold mains water coming into your kitchen will be colder than the house environment. Consequently, cold water in the upright of the swan neck could take a while to reach the house temperature, expanding as it does so, and slowly dripping over the neck apex and out of the tap for a while.

That is why you have noticed the slow dripping is worse when you can see condensation on the outside of the tap - it is full of cold water and that will then expand and drip while it does.

Try running the hot tap only until hot water flows before turning it off. That way you should ensure that any water in the upright of the swan neck is warmer than the kitchen environment. Eliminating the expansion should stop the long term slow drips. The tap will drip for the first few seconds as the water beyond the apex drips out, but after that you shouldn't get any dripping.

Its a waste of hot water doing this, so you may be better to just live with it until the weather gets warmer.

20. Michael.....

Michael..... New Member

Thank you so much for this too. Makes sense to me and helpful. Thanks