Varnish over gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Notty1975, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Notty1975

Notty1975 New Member

Hi all after a bit of advice I’ve painted some furniture all water based paint and was wondering if I could put a water based varnish over the top to make it more durable
    Thanks all

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, no problem. I have used Polyvine Varnish for exactly the same protection. :)

Notty1975 likes this.
  3. Notty1975

Notty1975 New Member

And it will won’t peel crack craze or nothing in the future I’ve read it can turn a little yellow but that’s not a problem as it’s going over dark purple

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's a water based protection it will not yellow, use Polyvine, available in matt, satin and gloss, oil varnishes yellow as they contain oil which yellows with age. It shouldn't craze, peel or crack if the surfaces are clean on applying the product. It may be advisable to lightly flatten the gloss to promote good adhesion with the first coat.

5. Notty1975

Notty1975 New Member

AA9C493E-E775-43DA-8474-6FB030F3E528.png 1A569754-5FDC-48BB-AA36-E2EDF050DCC7.png That’s brilliant so the above should be perfect for it then how long will the gloss coat need to cure before I apply it and if I flatten with 400 grit will the sanding marks be seen

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be honest it says it is suitable for application over previously varnished or stained surfaces nothing about water based painted surfaces...your call!

7. Notty1975

Notty1975 New Member

Not sure now dam

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Make a test piece on a length of wood or give Johnstone tech dept a call.