Vent Axia Extractor 99mm spigot, 5 inch hole

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RobinB, May 1, 2021.

1. RobinB

RobinB New Member

Hi,

I am hoping someone has had this issue and has a solution.

I bought a vent axia bathroom extractor fan with a 99mm spigot, although the hole drilled is 5 inches dia.

Obviously that doesn't fit snug in the hole, so I thought I could buy a 100mm dia reducer (125mm to 100mm) and couple this with a 125mm solid ducting pipe.

The 99mm spigot doesn't fit the reducer (still essentially the same size) and it also doesn't marry up with the pipe either (I think this is basically because I was attempting a bodge by using the reducer in reverse, to enlarge, rather than reduce).

What have other people done when faced with an extractor fan that has a spigot smaller than the hole?

Cheers.

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Duct tape.

RobinB likes this.
  3. RobinB

RobinB New Member

Haha thanks.

Does it matter if the hole is bigger than the ducting, as long as is a solid pipe and no room for rattle?

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

You need some to fix the fan to, a few weeks ago I cut a piece of plywood to make a back plate to line everything up a secure it all.

RobinB likes this.
  5. RobinB

RobinB New Member

I think I am quite lucky there actually...The face plate has quite a broad reach compared to the spigot, so will still secure around the hole without the need for a back plate (I hope).