Vent Covers

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Homeagain, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Homeagain

Homeagain New Member

Hi there, hope someone can help.  I am looking for a vent cover that will be used inside and can be opened and closed.  At present,the one in my kitchen is fixed and has a hole leading out through the wall which creates a huge draft in my already cold kitchen.  Can anyone suggest a vent cover that can be opened and closed? I am not sure from the ones advertised here would be suitable.  Thank you.

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Is there a gas hob/oven in t'kitchen Home?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

4. Homeagain

Homeagain New Member

Yes there is, it's directly over the actual stove.  Poor idea I think; however it really does make the kitchen cold because its virtually a huge hole. Thanks for your reply.  In desperation I was thinking of just removing the vent thing that is there and stuffing the whole lot with bubble wrap.  (PS we have recently (my daughter and I), moved into this two up two down house and as I am a widow I really have a bit of a 'gung ho' attitude towards diy i.e. no idea. Pretty useless really - you should see our painting, very scarey! :)o).  

5. Homeagain

Homeagain New Member

Does the one you have posted (i.e.the link), open and close? Sorry to worry you.

6. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Hi Home. Your vent cannot be of the opening/closing variety - you have to have a permanent open vent because of the gas appliances.

No way out of it unless maybe you have doors/windows with trickle vents which are permanently open (cannot be closed)

If you do have permanently open trickle vents on the windows then maybe you can use the opening, closing grille - the Gas Safe plumbers on the plumbers forum would be able to elucidate further on this matter.

Whatever you do do not remove the vent cover you have at present and fit a open shut type vent cover until you know 100% that you can go ahead with this.

7. J.P.

J.P. New Member

And please don't block the hole off with bubblewrap or anything else for that matter - I am being serious.

8. Mr. Handyandy

If you are replying to me, yes it does open and close. Look down the page in the link and you will see the specs.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I would retract HA..you cant bang out stuff like that without first warning the chap about the possible dangers involved if that vent cover was fitted--flipping heck m8

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

seriously dangerous advise there HA

tiny two up two down house, blocked air vent in room with a gas burning appliance

that vent is designed such that it can't be shut for a reason - blocking it could have fatal results

11. Homeagain

Homeagain New Member

Thanks for all your comments I have managed to get a 'hit and miss' vent?  It opens and closes which seems to be fine.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Well, done. As the guys above advised, please make sure that closing the vent is a safe thing to do.

For the guys above, the person asked for a closeable vent. I just gave a link.

Not only that, but gas was not in the question

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. surfermick

surfermick New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Peter due to unsuitable content

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Thank you Mr Mod - is there any chance that this entire thread could be deleted as it gives others who may stumble on it the very false impression that blocking up an air vent (even on a temporary basis) in a room with a gas burning appliance is the correct thing to do.

15. Homeagain

Homeagain New Member

I did not say that I was going to block up an air vent - I was merely joking.Sorry for the impression! Mr Handyman has given me good advice which I have followed. I am very grateful, thank you.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you look on the instructions for the hit and miss vent it will state that it is not to be fitted in rooms with gas appliances in them.

17. Homeagain

Homeagain New Member

Thank you, I will have to make yet another plan then ..... I think I should have a plumber look at it maybe or consider an extractor unit?

18. surfermick

surfermick New Member

just one of many threads ive seen you ripping into Andy on Sean, one of many;)

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it could well be that the previous occupants have removed the cooker hood, which vented externally, when they vacated - and your landlord covered the remaining hole with the current drafty vent cover - so fitting a new hood would be a very good idea, especially as you have mentioned the hole is directly above the cooker, these have external flaps which prevent wind infiltration

but you will still need a correctly sized and located permanently open air vent within the room as it has a gas burning appliance within it

20. Homeagain

Homeagain New Member

Thank you, I am looking at this option.