venting on to neighbours property?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by woodworker, Aug 22, 2004.

1. woodworker

woodworker New Member

My neighbour has just had a single story extension which comes to within 6" of my property. I have already had a bit of a disagreement with the builder as the flue from the combi boiler vented straight on to my driveway at about 6' high. He is claiming that I gave him permission to do this, however this is not the case. He simply didn't tell me it was going to be there. The Building Control Officer told me that he cannot vent it within 600mm of my land with out my written consent.

They have agreed to move the vent so it goes through the roof.

My next query is about the vent for the down stairs toilet. This also vents straight on to my drive at about the same height. Is this allowed? I don't like having the thought of coming out my side door and smelling the odour produced from the neighbours bowels, or listenning to him producing them through the vent.

We get on well with our neighbours and don't want to cause unnecessary disturbance, however I don't want this to become an issue if we or they decide to sell the house, at the moment my neighbour has with held £2,000 from the builder to cover any problems.

Advice please.

2. doitall

doitall New Member

The wording is 600mm from a surface facing the terminal, so when you build your extension next year they would have to move it.

Also the boundary wall is considered a vertical line to the stars if necessary.

In either case it has to go unless you say otherwise.

Extract rules are the same as an SVP, consult the building control officer to get it moved.

Failing all else environmental health will look at the nuisance hazard.