Veritas Alarm Issue. Battery?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Trenty12, May 8, 2018.

1. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

So about a month ago i noticed the 'unset' light flashing on my alarm keypad and after a quick google it seemed to point to a dud battery so i ordered a new one, swapped them over and seemed to do the trick....however today i have noticed that the unset light has started flashing again.

Any idea what it could be and anything DIY i could give a go?

Cheers

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Which model.

3. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Veritas 8, maybe R8 looking at the manual

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

External siren, does it also have a battery,flat?

5. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Not sure about the external. Dont fancy going up and checking either :) the fact that the issue was fixed temporarily when putting the new battery in would sugges the external one isnt the problem though.

Jut Checked the fuses, they are all glass but are still all intact. There were some spares inside the box so i swapped out the battery one anyway but still got the flashing light.

Power to the unit seems fine, all the keypads are working and everything else seems to be working other than the flashing light and is preventing me from setting the alarm

6. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

I do remember having a couple of power cuts last week not sure if thats anything to do with it? Is there a way to completely power down the system (without the alarm going crazy) and restart it again from fresh asif i was installing it from new?

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

PM Rulland, he's the alarm expert on here.:)

Rulland likes this.
  8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Flashing unset is a power supply fault, either battery or mains.

9. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Just tried with a voltmeter. Not sure if ive done it right but putting the pins on the ac wires on the panel i get a reading of 18.6? Putting the wires on the battery i get 22.

Edit - those numbers were with the meter set to V~200. What setting should i use?

10. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Ok so
    with battery connected im getting 10.4dc from the leads (assume this is the voltage currently in the battery?)
    Disconnected im only getting 1.46 dc from the lead? Is this the problem and hence why battery is los9ng voltage and not charging?

Ac input looks to be 18.8ac

11. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

Some of the earlier Veritas were prone to transformer/rectifier problems.

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

What voltage is on the battery leads from panel with no battery connected?

13. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

From his last post above Lec I'm assuming it's around 1.46v, if I'm reading it correctly.

14. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

It would seem battery is not being charged, I am sure if it was removed and recharged and then replaced alarm would work again until battery becomes discharged again.

Warning don't use standard car battery charger, some thing like the Ctek or the Lidi look alike would be OK, but clearly you need to sort out charging issue. It seems many items using VRLA batteries have problems with charging, from chair lifts to alarm panels. Correcting the problem is not easy, likely it will mean new panel.

15. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Can get a new pcb for around £30. Dont mind getting one if its just a case of swapping one wire over at a time into the same place on the new board or is there more to it? Can get the whole panel for maybe £20 more which might be easier

Only annoying thing is that that alarm will be sounding as soon as i power off the current one

16. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

It could be te transformer or regulator circuit. If te hlatter changing teh board may resolve it, however, you will need to reprogram too - that will mean getting the settings from the old board too.

Which sounder is fitted? If Texecom, there is an override capability and is specified in the manual.

17. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Had a feeling it wouldn't be so simple! Is that difficult to do as a DIY job?

Anything else i can try before getting a new panel or disconnecting sounder and giving up altogether?

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Texecom are a helpful bunch. If you phone their sales team they might even have a PSU they can sell you. That would be even better.

KIAB likes this.
  20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select