Veritas Alarm Issue. Battery?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Trenty12, May 8, 2018.

1. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Its not spending the money, its the fact that it potentially isnt just a straight swap out according to one of the posts above?

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

There is nothing difficult - just that you need to get the settings from the first and input them into the replacement.

3. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

And how would i get them?

4. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

As a separate question, someone near to me is selling a Veritas R8+ panel. Could i replace my R8 with an R8+ or is there more to it than that?

5. Pollowick

Go in to Engineer mode, then using the installation manual, access the system setup and note all settings for each zone, each user &c.

6. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Are you sure this relates to the R8? There is no visual display that will show this

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Veritas VR8 has a display, whereas R8 only has a number of led lights on keypad.

8. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Ahh get ya. Any input on my question about replacing the panel with a better model?

9. Pollowick

The LEDs are used to show the various settings. The installation guide Section 4 covers it.

10. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

It would appear that the transformer is giving out 18 odd volts, ac, which is about right, the rectification to 12 v dc is done on the main pcb so that would need replacing unfortunately :cool:

11. Pollowick

Always nice to have a text display rather than LEDs for programming and set up. Move up to the Excel if you can, or add an Excel RKP to and R8plus, or even up to a Premier Elite.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  12. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Is it a straight forward swap over though? So would i need to do anything different upgrading than i would swapping an R8 with another R8?

Problem then though, is ill be converting led's into visual display settings :)

13. Pollowick

My previous post should have said Excel RKP with R8 plus -

It is a reasonably simple change provided you understand what each setting does. Have a full read through the installation manuals and see if you are happy. It is more time to do it than complexity.

Have a look at the various Veritas panels: http://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/veritas-series/ and what each offers

14. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Ok thanks, ill take a look. I assume changing it for a completely different make and model is a different story?

15. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Also by the way, i had factory reset mine whilst messing about with it so do i need to worry about copying any settings over?

16. Rulland

There are various settings that need to be addressed, zones, where are they, are they final exit, entry route, normal alarm?.
    This is quite critical, it governs how you can set the alarm, how you unset the alarm etc etc.
    Do you know what zones are what/where?.
    Did your installer leave a zone list?.
    Even with a really basic intruder panel such as a Veritas, one needs to ensure it's programmed to perform as intended.

You can replace any panel with any other panel, it may require a few tweaks, this is where it can go belly up, I don't wish to rain on your parade, or burst your bubble in any way, but ultimately you want your alarm to perform as designed, and it may not if your not comfortable with 'tweaking', that's what us intruder technicians do, lol.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  17. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Im more than happy to have a play with it, im usually good with things like that. In all honestly i rarely use the damn thing since we got the dogs, so if it goes **** up theres nothing lost anyway but if i can get it all working again ill start using it more

Rulland likes this.
  18. Rulland

Ok matey, if you do need help though just PM me, I can talk you through stuff :)

19. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Cheers mate

Rulland likes this.
  20. Trenty12

Trenty12 New Member

Forgot to say, i emailed texecom this morning and they are sending me a PSU for free. Other comments suggest it wont be the problem but ill certainly give it a try when it arrives.....just need to get up and disconnect the external sounder before i do!