Vertical blinds

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paddington, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Paddington

Paddington New Member

Hi

Wife has bought vertical blinds and I need advice on how to securely fix them. We're in a new build so the window reveal is plasterboard over a steel lintel. I'm told that I should drill into the lintel and fix the blind runner with self tapping screws, but this terrifies me - I doubt I could do it accurately enough.

So my question is, would Evo-Stick industrial contact adhesive be strong enough to stick the blind runner to the plasterboard, so I don't have to screw into the lintel?

Any other advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks very much

Charlie

2. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

No - because you wouldn't be sticking to the plasterboard, just the paint.

Drill the lintel. Start with a small hole and work up. No probs

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You may find it easier to screw a batten to the wall first and then screw the blind to the batten.
    You might get away with glueing the batten, say a length of 3"x1" to the wall with pinkgrip, gripfill, silicon etc but only trying it will tell.
    You could try scraping the paint where the batten is going to see if it has adhered well.

4. you should have got the blinds that fit in the window reveal

5. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Please excuse Giles Barrington-Smythe. He obviously hasn't read the original post. To fix the blinds you will have to drill into the steel above the window. You probably only have to drill a 2 or 3 mm diameter hole then screw the blinds to the steel through the plasterboard.

6. fitero

fitero New Member

Our blinds came with long brackets to miss the window handles and i screwed them to the window frame,perfect,quick and easy.