Very basic garage conversion question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jamiesmith8989, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Jamiesmith8989

Jamiesmith8989 New Member

Hi

I am looking for a little advice. We moved into our new house in November and have a decent size garage. We are looking to get french doors installed into the side. The garage is detached and at bottom of the garden and the French doors will be south facing so hopefully it will be lovely and warm.

The garage has electrics in but no heating!! We are looking to convert the garage into a very simple chill out room with a simple design!! I was quoted £400 to cut out wall and install French doors!! I was looking for a basic way to finish this for as little money as possible!!

We are keeping the front of the garage a garage with garage doors on and going to separate it out!! I was thinking of just putting realy thick plywood directly onto the bricks and boxing in the room that way with no insulation and just glossing the whole room..would this work?

Thanks

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

No

It will leak heat like anything being really cold in winter. Also ply will look naff. Do it properly, insulate and plasterboard it

And you won’t get patio doors for 400 quid

Jord86 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

£400 is decent. You are going to be in for a shock regarding the cost of things.

4. Dan Parkinson

Dan Parkinson Active Member

I'd be charging triple that for cutting out and installing French doors. Doors alone are over £800.

5. John9857

John9857 Member

insulate with stud wall and foil-backed insulation board, like Kingspan 50mm, with foil tape over the wood stud joints to form the vapor barrier, plasterboard on top. I would simply dot and dab plasterboard, for the walls. it will be necessary to make sure it is airtight where the eaves and walls meet. I for one like dotndab and it is forgiving to uneven walls etc. It's quick, efficient, and effective.

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You really need to decide what you want the building to be/do: are you looking to sit out there in the depths of winter?

You need heating and insulation. Some will say the more insulation the better, but my feeling is that for intermittent use a bit is better than none and will be enough. The logic is that you heat the place while you're using it then turn it off. There is now an amount of heat energy to escape and the only difference that a lot of insulation will make is to take longer for the inside temperature to match the outside.

Not much point insulating the stud iy you don't do the walls and the ceiling is the most cost effective place to start.

Electric under floor heating might be an idea: cheap and simple to install.