Very erratic builders not turning up

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mickle1uk, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Mickle1uk

Mickle1uk Member

We engaged a guy to quote us For a job after doing so we them waited three weeks for the kob to start electricians and builders came came and did as much as they cud, put in points for new sockets and removed chimney breast contractor told us new window will be fitted this week gone but not a word for 2 weeks no sign of anyone else and excuses and promises from contractor he told us work wud take 7-10 days and its been 5 weeks so far and it looks like a demo site tbh not easy with grandkids all this was after lockdown eased

2. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

Have you asked them if there's a problem?

3. Mickle1uk

Mickle1uk Member

Ye and was told cant get the plaster waiting for a window and oh im away on a longvweekend

4. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

I understand getting plaster is a problem at the moment.
    Check with a local builders merchants.

But most industries are suffering delays.

5. Mickle1uk

Mickle1uk Member

The plaster was delivered two weeks ago but not a plasterer

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What is the actual question?

7. Mickle1uk

Mickle1uk Member

Would i be within my rights to get rid of this contractor and employ another and what to so about the unfinished work and payingnhim for the work done i did get the impression noth the spark and the builder who did the work done so far sont get along very well with the contractor so i considered contacting them directly andnpayingnthem for their work

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Send the builder an email or letter via recorded delivery explaining your position, how he's let you down without warning or explanation and that you expect the job to be finished within a reasonable timeframe close to what he stated originally, and that if you don't hear from him yay or nay within two weeks of your correspondence then you'll settle up part payment for the work done and get someone else in to finish the job. See what he says. Do not pay him the full amount whatever you do.

9. Mickle1uk

Mickle1uk Member

Many thanx brother