Vibrating washers!!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by bigjules, Dec 7, 2007.

1. bigjules

bigjules New Member

We have completed construction of a large number of timber framed apartments in which we have fitted washer/dryers.

The residents are complaining about the (apparent) transmission of vibration through the timber frame structure when the machines are on spin cycle.

Can anyone recommend any form of remedial action to reduce the vibration transmission - some for of absorbant matting for example??

The appliance manufacturer, (Whirlpool), states that the machines are performing within 'their design parameters' and that the responsibility iis not theirs. (No change there, then).

2. kitcheneer

kitcheneer New Member

Interesting question, this.
    I can't see the solution coming from some kind of material placed between the machine and the structure it is sitting on because the weight of the machine is going to compress the material so much that it will be virtually solid and therefore unable to absorb any vibration.
    Adding weight to a vibrating structure is a classic way of reducing vibration, but there won't be any room to do that if the machine is under a worktop.
    If there is a solution then it is going to come from the builders stiffening the floors, or somehow mollifying the new owners

3. bigjules

bigjules New Member

I can't see the solution coming from some kind of
    material placed between the machine and the structure
    it is sitting on because the weight of the machine is
    going to compress the material so much that it will
    be virtually solid and therefore unable to absorb any
    vibration.

Hmm - point taken.

If there is a solution then it is going to come from
    the builders stiffening the floors, or somehow
    mollifying the new owners

The floor structure is as follows: glued and screwed 22mm chipboard on floating floor battens at 300mm centres, on I joists at 600mm centres with plasterboard plank, 18mm ply and insulation infill etc to Robust Details. Can't get much more stiff than that!

Only a few of the 247 residents have complained as yet but it woun't be long before they're all holding their hands out!!

4. andy.sp

andy.sp New Member

bigjules,

have you got any space contstraints under the washers? e.g. worktops above? if so how far could you raise them from ffl?

5. bigjules

bigjules New Member

No more than 20mm - free standing washer/dryers below worktops.

6. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

this may sound obvious but are they all level with all four feet firmly touching the ground? Also could they be coming into contact with the housing? Have you heard the noise yourself?

7. bigjules

bigjules New Member

this may sound obvious but are they all level with
    all four feet firmly touching the ground?

Whirlpool attended site with the appliance fitter in the first couple of instances to ensure that the appliances were fitted to their standards so the answer must be 'yes'.

Also could they be coming into contact with the housing?

620mm applinace space left so 'no'.

Have you heard the noise yourself?

No.

8. andy.sp

andy.sp New Member

9. bigjules

bigjules New Member

10. bigjules

bigjules New Member

"Caution: when a dryer is on the washing machine this
    solution can cause the dryer to become unstable"

Can you imagine 247 (allegedly) unstable machines in
    their nice new apartments? (Worst possible case of
    course).

Forget what I just posted - perhaps the comment means when a dryer is stacked on a washing machine it can become unstable??

Will investigate further........

11. kitcheneer

kitcheneer New Member

It's as I thought, only 20mm available, not enough for the solutions suggested in Andy's links.

IMHO you are NOT gong to be able to solve this problem by doing stuff with the machine itself. It's the floor or the customers that will benefit form the attention

12. andy.sp

andy.sp New Member

It's as I thought, only 20mm available, not enough
    for the solutions suggested in Andy's links.

Kitcheneer,

There is a 10mm solution on there.

13. bigjules

bigjules New Member

the attention

Can't do anything with the floor - can you imagine the cost of un-installing kitchen furniture and lifting floors in at least 120 apartments - and the putting it all back?

I reckon that our response has to be:

'The floor is constructed in accordance with current Building Regs and Robust Standard Details and the machines have been installed in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations'.

14. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

as always with these things, I'd really try to hear the noise yourself. May be somethink altogether different and the residents themselves assume it's the w/m's.

15. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

at the end of the day, maybe it's an acceptable noise. Once you can hear it yourself, you'll probably hear that it's no big deal and they're making something out of nothing.

16. kitcheneer

kitcheneer New Member

It's as I thought, only 20mm available, not enough
    for the solutions suggested in Andy's links.

Kitcheneer,

There is a 10mm solution on there.

I'm happy to guarantee that it won't work. 10mm is far to thin to be able to absorb that kind of vibration. It might be useful from the POV of pacifying the customers, showing that he is trying everything

17. steve the fitter

steve the fitter New Member

sometimes there is packaging right up inside the washer dryers which could be causing the vibration. its not obvious that its there at all and you have to get your arm right up inside it

18. devonkitchens

devonkitchens Member

Just a thought,
    B&Q sell a laminate floor under lay, Green, like a pin board.
    It's about 9mm.
    How about if you glue a piece of 4-6 mm mdf to this and slide this under??

19. the best (probably)

the best (probably) New Member

have you tightened lock nuts on all four feet. ihad a problem with one a subby fitted for me ,one hour later trying to calm customer down discovered richard head hadnt taken transit bolts out!

20. smithybora

smithybora New Member

Hi Big.

Just noticed this thread.

I am in a rental block of flats at the moment. Living there.

Its got the same build structure as yours mentioned. We all have the same problem. The noise when the washer or dryer spins is really bad. Its like a droning noise. It vibrates really bad. It sometimes moves items across some of the units.

These washers are built in and i have had a good look at how these have been fitted. All seem ok, just like you have said.

I have just come to the thinking, its just due to the light weight materials used these days in these types of buildings. The floors and walls are so thing, sometimes you can hear the person above you going to the toilet.

I have just to my own way to stop the noise droning out my ears.

MOVE!!!

I am a kitchen fitter like many on here. I have fitted lots of washers but got stumped on this one myself. It just lies in the biulding materials.

tony