Vista to 7 or 10

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

= Regularly had to replace faulty parts:(:cool:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  2. If you buy, I'll install.

(By the way, my own PC boots up in around 15 seconds... :p )

3. Ooookkkaaaay.

Cove is delighted with his new PC and the larger screen.

One thing I do now need to do is transfer his Word 2003 from the old one to the new. It is a legit copy - he's had it on 3 PCs now - but has no disc. (The last PC he bought was from a dealer who transferred everything over for him.)

I had the product ID number - is that the same as the activation code?

I guess my options are:

Get some mirroring software and use it to take everything from his old disc to the new - but I don't want the rest of the carp included.

Download a fresh copy of Word 2003 (can this still be got from MS?) and use the activation code to reactivate it (where do I find the code - from File > Help?)

Download a fresh copy and use - cough - illegal software to activate it?

Ask MS for help?

What else?

Ta muchly.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Download Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. It will find keys for things like your OS and Word etc.
    (On the computer they are installed on of course)
    Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Cool.

I've heard about software like that - doesn't even MS themselves have one to help peeps recover their forgotten codes?

Assuming I can get the activation code ok, how do I then get a copy of 2003 on to the new PC?

Cheers.

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

No, because MS want you to buy newer software:rolleyes:.

And IIRC you can use command line to retrieve product keys.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Why do you want to use an outdated version of MS Word though? Download Libre Office for free (always free). Works with all MS Office files (and you can even save them as MS files too)

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

OpenOffice is another good alternative. Free too.

koolpc likes this.
  9. Yes, I've used OpenOffice and agree it's totally fine.

But this is for an 83-year old cove, so I'm trying to keep things as absolutely familiar as I can.

No way to download 2003 again, then?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joe95 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  12. Fab, KIAB!

Chust what I was looking for - thank you.

Er, what's an 'ISO' version?

Anyhoo, betwixt these two bits of 'ware, I should have it sorted.

Cheers :D

13. Ah. An ISO is a perfect image/copy of an original disc or summat? Cooool.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could also contact MS,they should be still able to give you a link to Office 2003 download, or might change cd key to work with Office 2007 or later version, & a link to download it.

15. No prob - I've downloaded and burned the Word 2003 and will try that first. Will use jelly bean to find prod code on old machine.

And have a certain MS Toolkit to hand in case it's needed too... :rolleyes:

Ok, next issue!

The guy mainly uses his pooter for playing bridge on BBO (BridgeBaseOnline) and he has forgotten his password... :rolleyes:

I've tried both Chrome and Firefox browsers to see if it's stored there (it fills in his password automatically on his old machine) but no trace of it being stored there. Where else could it be? Will it be in a file under BBO on his HDD? If so, what are the chances of it being 'visible'?

(He's tried contacting BBO to redo his password, but they are in the process of changing to a different version and they ain't keen to keep the old one going - and the cove only likes the old version...)

Thanks again for any help :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. Thanks again, KIAB.

I'd tried to log on to that site using my mum-in-law's username and p'word, but couldn't do it. But, prompted by your link, I tried again - changing the 'case' of the words used - bingo!

So, question now posed on that site :)

Thank you :D

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You can get the password from Chrome if it fills it in automatically:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/manage-view-saved-passwords-chrome

Done this myself quite a few times

19. Thanks, Kools.

Yes, I went into his Chrome and found three passwords - for gmail, his energy account etc - but none for BBO. Which is why I suspect it's either stored on the actual website or else in a file on his pooter. I have gorn through every sub-file of the BBO program, but couldn't find anything that seems to relate to a password - no surprise, I guess, as it would be hidden or encrypted?

Ach well...

20. Mr. Handyandy

Doesn't the normal 'Forgotten password?' thing work when trying to login?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really