Volkswagen Transporter

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Ryluer, Apr 3, 2015.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You will be tarred forever on here as the person who believes mechanics get over £200k a year.

Even a Formula One mechanic wouldn't be on that.

Hell even Jason Statham wasn't on that for making "The Mechanic"

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

No point in changing the subject mate, the subject up for discussion now is you making a complete clown of yourself. If a mechanic is on £200k pa whats a top of the trade bodywork guy on round your way. £500k pa.

Hold on I have just heard a couple of tyre fitters have bought Chelsea off Abramovich.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I agree. Especially since you didn't know that melamine was a veneer.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That's American you clown. I started out over 20 years ago as a veneer hand working the press. That's a bit more knowledge than a quick google.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Nothing there proves me wrong. A frantic google to find some kind of "proof" isn't going to cut it.

You do not want to get into a battle over veneering with me mate.

You will only end up looking more of a berk.

Ryluer likes this.
  7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Bit of a conundrum isn't it? LoL.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

They call it veneer. You call it some thing else. Get over it.

Like they say....
    Generally speaking, the term veneer describes a very thin layer of material that covers another thicker material. Many assume that all veneers are wood veneers, but veneers could also be made from melamine.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I suppose I only have 20 years plus experience of working on some pretty significant projects. I guess that counts for nothing compared to some herbert using google.

The world is full of people like you using google and Wikipedia to desperately try to convince others of their knowledge and experience. When you come up against someone who really knows their stuff you will get monstered. Experience means I can pick a chancer like you out in an instant.

Theoretical knowledge gleaned off the tinternet might make you look knowledgeable to a layman but pros can sniff you out a mile off.

Maybe you could see if your £200k pa mechanic mate could pay for you to get a bit of work experience in a proper trade.

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

So basically what your saying is that your in the trade with 20 years experience and you didn't know melamine could be a veneer? Seems odd.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Again you do not want to get into work Top Trumps with me. I will win for an absolute cert.

I don't need google to back up my knowledge. You clearly have zero real experience of anything you are trying to convey an image of knowing about.

In manufacturing and furniture making ask anyone what veneer is and they will tell you. If you happened to be in a professional workshop, perhaps delivering a parcel or replacing a windscreen on one of the vehicles and described a sheet of MFC as veneered they would look at you as if you knew nothing.

Ring up Panelco, Lawcris, Lathams etc ( to save you googling they are panel products suppliers all of whom I have accounts with) and ask them what 19mm veneered boards they do and they will just list ABW, Euro Oak, Ash etc etc. Those are real wood veneered boards. Ask them for melamine and they will list Montana Oak, Winchester Oak etc they are melamine boards.

Some American website claiming that veneer is melamine and melamine is veneer means nothing. I don't work in the US.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, the term veneer describes a very thin layer of material that covers another thicker material. Many assume that all veneers are wood veneers, but veneers could also be made from melamine.

Says it all I'm afraid.

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

It does say it all, it says you have no knowledge of your own and rely upon google for your argument. And rely upon information from the wrong country.

It is a very sad situation that you find yourself in. You pick an argument on a subject that you know nothing about. I can tell you know nothing, so can everybody, deep down you know you know nothing. And instead of saying "Oh I didn't know that kitchens weren't made from veneered MDF" you choose to twist yourself tighter and tighter into a knot trying to prove a pathetic point.

Now I have a workshop stacked out with veneered boards and some melamine board and a load of solid timber. I day in day out turn those products into items people treasure and want. I have done for 20 years plus and some of my work is on display in some of Britain and Europe prominent buildings.

Who realistically knows timber terminology and what veneer means and melamine means and what each panel product is. Me or you? Its a no brainer.

You can come back with some snide little trolly remark about some obscure website based in another country and claim it shows me to be ignorant, but I know, you know and everyone knows that your knowledge of this subject is all as thin as a veneer.

14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

But not as thin as a melamine veneer which clearly exists.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Tragically I have to leave this highly entertaining conversation as I need to go to my workshop to get some stuff ready for tomorrow.

Some of us actually do what we claim to have knowledge of.

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Watch you don't saw your fingers off lol. Or slice a finger on that sharp melamine veneered edge.

I do some timber sawing with my chain saw. LoL

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

So it's not only your brakes you bodge then. :p:p:p

18. Cliffe Packaging

Cliffe Packaging New Member

My T5 had a similar issue last test - cost me about £150 to fix but that's probably my fault for taking it to the dealership...

19. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Those guys have a lot of over heads to pay.

20. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

I believe it's spellled 'STEALERSHIP'

And a lot of d#ck heads as well.