voltage free contacts on boiler

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lowwatts, Dec 17, 2009.

1. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

hi, can anyone give my any advice on this little conundrum? customer has had a new boiler fitted as part of re-furb work on their house. the boiler is made by ferroli. as part of the re-wiring i installed cabling for a new wired room stat and programmer. started connecting all the heating controls up today, looked through the boiler install- set up guide, says their is only volt free contacts for a room stat or a tiny 4 way plug for an inbuilt timeclock. am i right in thinking that the easiest way to have a timeclock - room stat on this boiler is to use a radio frequency programmable room stat? other than that im thinking of using a relay-contactor?
    current layout is Boiler is in the garage, programmer in the kitchen, room stat in the hallway,plumber also wants a frost stat fitting into the install too.
    any help / advice greatly appreciated

2. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

What other connections has the boiler got besides the volt free ones?

;)

3. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

erm to be honest im not sure, boiler comes already fitted out with a lead and 3 pin plug. all it says in the manual is terminals for room stat are volt free, do not put 230v onto these terminals as irrepearable damage will be done to the pcb. there are 2 terms for a room stat, 2 terms for a temp compensate stat outdoors, then a tiny 4 term push fit connector for a built in timeclock. couldnt see any others either in the manual or on the boiler.
    customers wont go for a built in timeclock due to the boiler being in the garage.

4. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

Oh so its a combi boiler then?

5. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

yes sorry should have said that really.

6. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

Usually I fit the timer into the boiler as mentioned then just wire a stat to the volt free contacts job done..

7. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

just make sure your programmer has volt free contacts on the switching side and you'll have no problems.

8. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

9. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

if its just a standard combi u need a single channel time clock. wire from the boiler to the programmer, then to the stat, then back to the boiler

10. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

yeh, thats what i was thinking, but aas the boiler is in the garage the customers dont want to be trailing out there if they want the heating on for an extra hour etc. would a frost stat also work off the volt free contacts for the room stat?

11. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

12. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

i know im gonna sound really thick, it wont be the first time anyway, but, how do i make the programmer work off volt free contacts? the programmer will need live - neutral and a switched live back to the boiler via a room stat, i cant see hoe i can do that off volt free contacts?
    as already mentioned boiler is factory fitted with a lead and 13a plug top, so will likely invalidate gaurentee/ warrenty if i chop this off, then feed the boiler via a switch fuse spur/ connection box

13. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

thanks sparks, thats kinda what i mentioned in my initial post, was thinking thats what i was gonna have to go for. rather makes a mockery of doing all the hard wiring for it.

14. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Why the hell don't you state the exact model of boiler - as you clearly don't have a clue - in spite of having the instructions there before you.

Volt-free connections are usually an option - and not a necessity........

Lucia.

15. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

live,neutral,earth to programmer.

programmer will have a another 2 connections (volt free)connect these up via the room stat to boiler..

16. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

Must admit this is abit worrying now that you are having problems with the simplest boiler connections, lucky its not a s plan or y plan;)

17. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

lucia, i only got chance to have a quick look at the instructions. yes your right i dont have a clue what im doing with this boiler. im used to wiring up worscter or valliant boilers which have the 4 terminal strip for connecting everything in. ie room stat, zone valves if not fitted in boiler, programmer.
    if you read my first post i did say it is a ferroli boiler, i dont know the exact model number though,it is a combi boiler.

18. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

spark, if it had been an s or y plan boiler i honestly wouldnt have a problem connecting it up. the problem i have is when i wired up for the controls i assumed it would be a boiler similar to a valliant, nice and easy to connect up.

19. lowwatts

lowwatts New Member

simplest way i can see is to put the rf programmable room stat in, like i said in i think my first post. but will a frost stat also work off the volt free contacts? yes i know the frost stat is basically just a switch, so it should work.

20. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member