VW transporter

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by sootylum, Mar 25, 2010.

1. sootylum

sootylum New Member

Any thoughts on the Volkswagen transporter 1.9. I have a vivaro at the moment and want to change as lease is getting way to expensive.
    Cheers

2. I would get one if thy weren't so pricey

3. Antimagnolia

Antimagnolia New Member

the transporter is an excellent van, well worth every penny. had one for a few years, no problems.

The 1.9 is a bit slow! The 2.4 is your best option, v. reliable, and gets 35 mpg on average.

you won't regret it!

4. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

2.4 VW Transporter, 35mpg. What kind of loads are you carrying, a feather duster?

5. Antimagnolia

Antimagnolia New Member

6. ­

­ New Member

Haha! Those figures are computer generated, assuming ideal conditions and with NO LOAD ONBOARD.

A Mercedes Tesco lorry 'does' 12.6 mpg according to the manufacturer. When a fully loaded trailer is attached the true figure is 4.8 mpg.

7. ­

­ New Member

A more realistic 'true' mpg for the 2.4 will be nearer 27 mpg.

8. made2fail

made2fail New Member

i've a t5 transporter,lovely comfortable van to drive,now done 25k on 08 plate but just noticed that i'm wearing the paint away on the drivers door where I catch it when it opens to stop it swinging out too far & on the sill below the side door where my shin rubs when I reach in,anybody else finding this ??

mb

9. busy builder

busy builder New Member

10. e30mark

e30mark Member

The 2.4D was used in the old T4 vans, the T5's used the 1.9 & 2.5's in various engine tunes, the latest T5.1 uses a Biturbo 2.0L to produce 180BHP

I'll stick with my T5 2.5 174bhp for now, Keep the servicing up to date and claim everything off the warranty if it does go wrong. It doesn't matter what make van you buy these days, they all go wrong...