Wages

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by joiner_sim, Feb 13, 2007.

1. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Just wondering about the going rate for someone of similar skill to mine.

I am 19 years old, have been working in carpentry and joinery since i turned 16, so I now have 4 and a half years experience. I completed an apprentiship getting an NVQ level 2. I have now been employed full-time for 2 years since qualifying my apprentiship. I work as a bench joiner, making bespoke joinery, mainly building & construstion joinery, windows and doors. I can make bays, arches, and obviously all the normal windows and doors available.

How much do you think my hourly rate should be considering my experience?

2. newey

newey New Member

Sorry but one Q?. You're 19. You have been working in carpentry since you turned 16. 19 minus 16 equals 3, not 4 and a half. Did you leave school with any maths quals? Only kidding!

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Ah so your maths isn't the best, ok i'll give you £18 per hour, so thats 18 x 37.5 = yep £150 a week ;)
    just kidding!

4. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

People normally only check their wage rates if they are dissatisfied. Do you have colleagues doing the same job earning more? or do you feel other employers would pay you more? Why do you need more?

Might well be worth discussing gently with your employer - do you get any performance related pay?. Do you get any form of regular appraisal of you and perhaps your salary from your employer?

My advice would be to communicate good communication can never do any harm. No employer is a mind reader.

Good luck

Shedmen

5. foxy

foxy New Member

The way the world works is that employers usually pay the lowest wages they can get away with. If they are not given a reason to increase them, they won't.
    You are better qualified than anyone on here to know the going rate for what you do in your location. If you think you are worth more either ask for a raise or look elsewhere.
    No one is going to throw more money at you unless you ask. If they can't get someone else to do it for the same amount they have to up your pay or do without you. Which of those is more likely to to suit your employer?

6. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Hi Joiner sim. Not being picky or owt but why don't you go for the NVQ 3 in bench joinery? You would put yourself in a much better position to negotiate a wage rise with your employer.

7. walshy

walshy New Member

£10.40

8. orangeST

orangeST New Member

Why not look to see what other joinery companies doing similar to yourself are advertising for wages?

9. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

depends where your based mate.london joiners always seem to earn more than anyone else.you say your 19,i would guess your employer is paying you about 175-200 a week.if your not happy negotiate and also you should be entitled to a cost of living rise about 4% a year.

10. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Thankyou all for your replies. I am just a little annoyed that theres 4 joiners, two are older experienced blokes, 1 is me and the other is a young guy who is 22, me and the young guy have replaced to older experienced blokes who were on alot more money than we are.

We do get an yearly wage rise and it was quite good last year.

I just felt it was time to investigate the other opportunities out there, as when we went to college I remember the assessors saying we could leave qualified pickin up about 500 quid which is way off the mark!