Wages

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chippie mac chipface, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Chippie mac chipface

Chippie mac chipface Active Member

I know this comes up now and again but have just read in The Times that unskilled building labour has jumped from £90 a day to £180.00 , is anyone seeing this?

Is there much work in different parts of the country, booked up for months , days or weeks?

Whats the going rate for hanging a 6 panel blow away door now, in s oxon I would charge £100.00 each for a run of say seven.

Do any chippies charge £50.00 an hour or over?

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Look at pimlico plumbers website, they give their rates, a real gift to any tradesman.

3. Chippie mac chipface

Nice one cheers

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Pay my self-employed labourer £100, declared, all above board, not cash.

Rarely quote a daily raise to clients but If I’m doing handyman stuff for me in Herts it’s £200 a half day and £300 a fully day. Smaller jobs minimum charge £80 unless it’s really small, or a regular client.

Materials charged in at retail plus 20% so obviously on bigger jobs that can add significantly.

Rosso likes this.
  5. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

£280 a day in Bath, and rising every month.

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

And that’s just for your labourer. :D

7. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

£700 to fit 7 doors, how long would that take?

8. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Depends on what you are replacing, and who lined the doors, and when. But either Chippie McChipface is a lot lot faster at swinging doors than me, or every doorframe he gets is straight, square, true and takes a standard door without modification, which is about 1 in 6 for me. I price at 2 doors a day- if it goes better than that, happy days. Usually there's one that is just a swine though.

mr moose, WillyEckerslike and Jord86 like this.
  9. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

If the customer says "that seems a lot" I just tell them I don't mind if they hang the doors themself- it's not that difficult really. Most of them do want me to do it though

Chippie mac chipface likes this.
  10. AnotherTopJob

I'm not contesting the possible work and time involved on an older or non-standard building.
    However I can't see anyone with a newish build being prepared to pay that amount.

11. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

I'm in Bath- we don't got much new build

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I'm going to refer you to the video below, it is long but it's absolutely worth watching the whole way through. It's worth watching for a number of reasons, the 1st is that it was made in 2018.......................so the figures are completely out of date.
    Even in 2018 the figures will surprise a lot of peeps on this forum, they don't surprise me though because i have always known that charging too little is the same as working full time in a low paid job.
    £50 an hour now days.....................do me favour.........................i want to live...............not just stay alive.

13. Chippie mac chipface

Well, they do and are, I am making a bookcase at the moment in all 5m by 2.4m, melamine on chipboard £2950.00 in a new build.

One of my mates is an account of the company who bought Pimlico Plumbers he has always told me that most trades undercharge.

For chippies they charge £700 - £800 a day

14. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

I would want fish with that!

Ind spark and Resmond like this.
  15. AnotherTopJob

The going rate is what the customer is prepared to pay. If you're getting work, then I guess you're not too expensive.

However, I never understand why anyone would use a hyped-up company like Pimlico charging £120-160 per hour + VAT for a basic plumbing job.

stevie22 likes this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I’m all for Carpenters wages increasing and a bit of lost respect reinstated but that’s just unrealistic unattainable nonsense though isn’t it, who on earth is going to pay that money knowingly when it’s twice the Prime Ministers salary? Idiots, if any do.

mr moose, kitfit1 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Plus the book deals and after dinner speaking engagements Jord. Where do I sign?

18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The point is @Jord86, the current Prime Minister is an idiot and isn't even worth what i would pay a labourer.
    Must admit though, i've never ever heard of ANY chippies being paid £700/£800 a day.........................................maybe i should dissolve my company and just go work for £700/£800 a day :D

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Unfortunately Willy my illiteracy, anxiety and general ignorance ensures that I’ll never be able to forge my own signature, so I can’t advise you on the best measure to lead the country I’m afraid, however I’m told McDonald’s are hiring. I’ll hopefully see you in the queue. ;)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Like most things, it’ll all be shat. One or two days a week perhaps, long days, lots of expenditure, overheads, fuel, parking permits, lies and liars in abundance, one 16 hour day may be worth £800 to the individual in central London but that will most certainly not be every single day.