walk in shower tray or screed

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by baracus, Oct 13, 2018.

1. baracus

baracus Member

Hello,

I believe I have 2 options for my walk in shower which is currently at insulation level on the floor (see picture).

A) Screed on the insulation at a slight slope into a drain ( linear drain) and tile on top of the screed once the screed has gone off ( one month?)

or
    B) Buy a wet room tray and tile on that.

My question is which is preferred generally and with the wet room tray option does that sit directly on the insulation? Or what sub base is required?

Thanks

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I've done A very successfully on many occasions. You need a good tanking kit and a good waste.
    B is a very expensive approach for absolutely no gain over A.

Russel likes this.
  3. baracus

baracus Member

Thanks Roger.

What is an ideal gradient in degrees or drop per metre?

Thanks

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I have done them between 2% and 5%. 2% works well with relatively smooth tiles, and it feels horizontal when you're in the shower. However you need closer to 5% with rough stone tiles, but there you can definitely notice a bit of a slope.
    I find by far the easiest ones to tile with are the shower drain troughs, because there your slopes are in a single plain so no diagonally cut tiles needed. When you just have a square drain in the centre the tiling is a lot trickier.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Even if screeding the remainder, have a look at IMPEY for their wet room trays. Range or sizes and you will have no worry about slopes for that area. Designed to be timed on and then have some excellent integral linear drains too.