Wall chasing advice

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Chunkymunky1988, May 14, 2023.

1. Chunkymunky1988

Chunkymunky1988 New Member

Hi all. I plan on chasing out some channels in my walls to get rid of horrible trunking everywhere. I have an sds drill and i am picking up some sds chisels tomorrow. What tool would be better for me to start the chase before the sds, an angle grinder or a multi tool? My house is a 1950s built house with solid brick and plaster. I have been offered one of each so I'm not sure which route to go down

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

4 1/2” angle grinder with a diamond blade, you could hire a wall chaser specifically for the job with a dust extractor, but if not then it’s the angle grinder.

Chunkymunky1988 likes this.
  3. Chunkymunky1988

Chunkymunky1988 New Member

Cheers mate, i will grab one tomorrow

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Angle grinder is going to be miles better than multi tool... But chaser WITH DUST EXTRACTION will be miles better still.
    With just grinder you will have loads of dust. If the property is currently occupied you'll regret it if you don't have proper dust extraction!

Best of luck with it!

Regards,

Cando

5. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

If you are not using dust extraction don’t forget a decent dust mask for yourself and seal the room.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Buy a chaser then sell it after, unless it’s only a couple to do.

7. DBCDIY

DBCDIY Screwfix Select

Hire a wall chaser and M class vacuum...unless you want a house full of plaster dust!

8. H Bell

H Bell Active Member

Just use the chisel. You really don't need anything else and on the contrary, using any cutting tool will just make an awful mess. Believe me, I have made that mistake, and you really don't want to do it! The chisel makes far less mess, and it really doesn't make any difference when it comes to repairing the damage. Chisel is also very fast. You can get it done, cable in, and patched in a single day.

9. Adam Routley

Adam Routley Active Member

Metabo wall chaser with 3 blade disk and a titan site vac. Best tool I ever bought. Literally takes 2 minutes and hardly any mess.

10. DBCDIY

DBCDIY Screwfix Select

I second what Adam Routley says. I also have a Metabo wall chaser with vacuum and it cuts a wall chase in about one minute with VERY little dust...so why not just hire one for a day and you'll have clean cut chases done in no time!

11. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Anyone suggesting an angle grinder has never done this. You’ll be in a cloud of dust so thick within seconds that you literally won’t be able to see your hands. The dust will cover your entire house however much you seal up and you’ll wish you never started.

Hire one, or buy the Titan one. I have it, it’s brilliant. Dust extraction is fantastic with a Titan vac (must use a bag). Don’t use it loads but several times including cutting the perimeter of a 50sqm concrete patio slab to install lighting, and several lends to mates for their work, and the original blades still look brand new. Best money you’ll spend.

FlyByNight and stevie22 like this.
  12. Truckcab79

Likewise a chisel will do the job fine if you’re only taking out plaster. If you need to go into the brick at all forget it.

13. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Totally agree, I have an Erbauer that is over 10 years old, variable depth, variable width, dust take off, slow start. Yes, it took some getting used to the way to use it with the vacuum hose getting in the way but it is great. It cost me, I belive around £60 or so new from SF.

14. Truckcab79

Think the Titan is about £100 but money well spent if you only use it once in my opinion.

I’ve done the grinder thing. In fact I once cut in a set of French doors with a 4 1/2 grinder fitted with a 9” disc. Don’t tell anyone;) Long time ago and I wasn’t doing doing it for a living then. :D