Wall lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Fused, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Fused

Fused New Member

All the wall lights I've ever encountered have no back-box, just the cable straight out of the plaster into a 3way screw-block and if you're lucky some insulation tape around the block, the block being buried into the back of the fitting.

What back-box can you use as even architrave boxes are much wider than many/most wall lights and inevitably protrude?

2. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

Good question - not easy to answer, thats probably why most wall lights dont have a box and the connections are just stuffed at the back of the fitting or into the plaster!

3. Fused

Fused New Member

Thanks for response. I previously replied but it seems to have disappeared . . . can't imagine SF have censored it!

The same applies for wall lights on dry-lined (partition) walls, all nice and easy to fit a box, but no suitable non-visible box available. Therefore, as a matter of principle, how can any self-respecting sparky Certify an installation with such questionable wall light connections?

4. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

Why whats the problem, there aint any boxes behind ceiling light fittings (ones where the ceiling rose has been taken down)and they are connected with plastic or porcelain connectors.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

agree with g2o

The ceiling rose situation is different to the wall light situation. In a ceiling, if someone were to lift a floor board or two above the ceiling rose then the unprotected terminal block connector is then exposed and wont be compliant with the regs. The wall light is fixed to the wall where there is no access to the back of it and is "mechanically" protecting the wiring terminals behind it by virtue of its design and no access can be gained to the wiring without a tool. Putting a back box behind it is pointless as all you would do is make the recess deeper.

RSS

6. Damocles

Damocles New Member

you lift floorboards without tools? I'm impressed

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I knew someone would do that!

8. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

I just use an Architrave Type box behind the fitting, and join the cable inside that.

9. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

Or a Round conduit box for the other instances....