Wall Plate sizes

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by starbuild, Apr 1, 2005.

1. starbuild

starbuild New Member

Can anyone tell me what the B Regs are concerning the size of a wall plate? I have to support several roof trusses on a 178 by 102 mm UB, spanning a gap where there is no wall. Will I have to use a timber wall plate on top of the UB and if so, what is the minimum size I can use? I do not want to lower the UB any more than is necessary.

2. jonob

jonob Member

not sure on defo regs but bc was ok on this

14.75m 10x5 ub with a 4x2 bolted on top as a wall plate

3. chappers

chappers Member

your trusses really should be attached to the beam but if you dont'want to lower the beam then either bolt or Hilti nail a timber into the web of the steel and then use truss clips to fix the trusses.
    But having said all that have seen where they have just been sat straight onto the beam and the lower chord binder has been put directly above the steel.

4. chappers

chappers Member

with regards to your question then wall plate should be 100x50 min or the thickness of your beam or leaf of wall it is fixed to

5. starbuild

starbuild New Member

Thank you for the answers. Please could you explain what you mean by the lower chord binder being put above the steel? Thank you.

6. chappers

chappers Member

on your roof truss you will have the two rafters going up to the apex and a timber going horizontal between them, like the base of a triangle (and then various other timbers depending on the type of truss)the horizontal timber is the lower chord.
    When the trusses are erected then binders or bracing is used to give the whole structure rigidity and stop your roof being blown off, put one of these binders over the lower chords directly above the steel to give it maximum rigidity at this point.
    have a look at this for a bit more info.

http://www.tra.org.uk/pdffiles/pds4.pdf