Wall removel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by 4 ME, Oct 17, 2003.

1. 4 ME

4 ME New Member

Do I need to get planning permission or building reg approval to remove an internal wall in my bathroom. I live in a Bungalow and the wall is not a supporting wall as I have removed a brick at the top and there is nothing above.

Attached Files:

• 18.png
      File size:
      4 KB
      Views:
  2. plumbob

plumbob Member

no you do not need planning permission for internal alterations.

3. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Make totally sure it is not a supporting wall and plumbob is totally correct that planning isn't required however some councils do require that they are informed as to what is going on in all constructions. This entails a simply diagram and brief synopsis of the works submitted to the planning dept at the local council. Approval isn't required so no delays are necessary. The beauty of this is a) good relations with the planning bodies b) you prevent any conflict in the event that neighbours complain of noise from the works.

4. pitternator

pitternator New Member

Strictly speaking , most building alterations require BUILDING REGS APPROVAL. For light studwalling and minor alterations, this is not likely to be required.However, do check that the wall is not load bearing before doing any work.As you have a bungalow, it sounds like this may not be the case.However, it is not unknown for these walls to support purlins in the roof structure.If you remove this wall, then the roof may collapse!
    If you are in any doubt call the local building control office and get advice. The maximum building regs fee for this sort of work is normally about £50.If the wall is load bearing, it will require a lintol of some sort to maintain the support.If you have never done this work before, I would advise getting some help.
    Also , be aware that if you undertake building work which is not approved it may show up in a future survey and prevent you from selling your house.

5. 4 ME

4 ME New Member

Thanks to plumbob, charlie farley and pitternator I have taken on board what you have said helped me a lot.
    Thanks again.

6. ahl

ahl New Member

I asume the building is not listed? removal of internal walls on some listed buildings can cause you serious grief with the council and hefty fines

7. Bob

Bob Guest

Officially any removal of walls requires a building notice to be given with the local authority. They will then let you know if you can proceed.