wall tile spacers, should they be left in

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Rocketrontowing, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Rocketrontowing

Rocketrontowing New Member

Hello to all forum members.

Currently have a builder in and they have put a tiler in to fit 10x10cm wall tiles throughout the kitchen to eye level, about 15 sq. metres.

i have noticed that the tiler is using 2mm plastic cross type pegs and so far covered about 3 sq. metres and is back today.

What i'm worried about is, I have noticed that the tiler is placing the x pegs completely flat in the tiles set right in against the plaster / wall, it looks like these are going to be left in place and grouted over, they don't look like they will remove all that easy and removing 15 sq. metres worth seems like it is not going to happen.

Is this correct method and what problems could this cause ?

Many Thanks in advance, Ron.

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Usually they are removed.

3. imran_

imran_ New Member

No - they should be removed. Grouting over them will always leaving some standing proud. Plus grout and plastic don't bond ;)

4. Moto Slug

Moto Slug New Member

No, I think you are both wrong, they should be left in, (although they can be removed if you are running out of them) provided that they are pushed back in far enough so that the grout can cover them there is no problem.

After completing an area and when the adhesive is holding the tiles firm, I go back to each of the spacers with a screwdriver and push them back as far as they will go,

5. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

You remove as many you can and push the rest back as far as you can and then grout

2mm plastic spacer pushed back into gap which including the adhesive and tile thickness will be at least 10mm,so whats the problem?

6. tic tic

tic tic New Member

op
    depends on the wall..how flat, for 2mm, with tv..but i usually just use spacer pegs.

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Take them out cowboys!

Good advice from TT as usual!

8. I know Best

I know Best New Member

leave them in, no problem at all.

9. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

IKB is a Grade 1 Cowboy - just read his other posts - the ones that admin have not deleted that is! :^O

10. homework

homework New Member

Yes they can be left in, even the manufactures say so,the only time I take them out is if there is going to be a lot of water, ie showers etc

11. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Always take them out. Much better.

12. tic tic

tic tic New Member

each to there own;)

13. n8rbos

n8rbos New Member

lol some of you guys must be hard up to have to take spacers out, leave them in and grout over them except where they proud! push them in with a flat screwdriver or pull them out.

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Nah - some of us take pride in our work - always take them out.

15. tic tic

tic tic New Member

you cant beat the..swan vesta or the bluebell

sayin all that, was there not one on ere a while back about the Cig butts or was that for behind the tiles!! :):)

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

17. n8rbos

n8rbos New Member

capt beaky, or anyone else! how by leaving spacers in (unless they sit proud)constitutes a 2nd class job????? do you charge extra for the time it takes to take them out or summat?

18. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Spacers reduce the depth of grout. My tilers have always removed them and will continue to do so while I pay their wages.

19. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

i cant beleive this is still going!!!!!! look you can leave em in or you can take em out personally i remove them! but my mate who is just as good aas me at tiling if not a little better leaves em in!!!! NOW can we discuss somthing sensible PLEASE? :)

20. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

All these cowboys leaving spacers in!

Unbelieveable! :O