wall tile spacers, should they be left in

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Rocketrontowing, Dec 17, 2009.

1. tic tic

tic tic New Member

n8rbos

Re: wall tile spacers, should they be left in
    Posted: Jan 19, 2010 8:02 AM Reply

capt beaky, or anyone else! how by leaving spacers in (unless they sit proud)constitutes a 2nd class job????? do you charge extra for the time it takes to take them out or summat?

again it all depends on the subtrate your tile fixing onto here mate, any devation/indentation in your subtrate will thro your tiles off slightly so spacers will not help this,so you may have to turn spacer on edge or maybe go from a 2mm to a 2.5mm spacer, or 4-5mm etc..

would be great if a subtrates were p/board or b/boards but they aint..;)

2. n8rbos

n8rbos New Member

tic tac point taken bout deviation and can understand removing spacers if they sticking out because you used them side on etc but standard spacer /tiling i always leave them in and push proud ones in too if they won't budge i would then remove it ! but i certainly would not remove all spacers ina say a tiling job.

3. Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo New Member

4. Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo New Member

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Then you ain't tiling in my properties! If I found a tiler leaving the spacers in he would be made to take them out or chucked off the job!

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

7. GKU

GKU New Member

LOL - so stick that in yer pipe :^O :^O

Next please .......:^O

8. tic tic

tic tic New Member

n8rbos

Re: wall tile spacers, should they be left in
    Posted: Jan 20, 2010 9:56 PM Reply

tic tac point taken bout deviation and can understand removing spacers if they sticking out because you used them side on etc but standard spacer /tiling i always leave them in and push proud ones in too if they won't budge i would then remove it ! but i certainly would not remove all spacers ina say a tiling job.

thats ok for a kitchen splasback...but for wet areas always peg out for obvious reasons.?

9. tic tic

tic tic New Member

think this bloody thread is going to go on and on and on and onnnn....and its about...spacers...:):)

10. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Well 'tis obvious! If you are doing any proper tiling that is going to get wet TAKE THEM OUT!

ere we go ere we go ere we go.....

11. GKU

GKU New Member

You can lead a horse to water but ya can't make im drink .... let em get on wiv it , theres none so blind as them that WILL NOT see ,
    LOL - I feel a bit ov Shakespeare coming on , innit .....

:^O :^O

12. all the gear

all the gear New Member

I was always told to 'leg them out'. Thought it was standard practice. Each to their own if it works.

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

The hallmark of a cowboy tiler - spacers left in!

14. imran_

imran_ New Member

Gor blimey!!

First, if you use spacers as a "corner" then in my humble opinion they are not suitable for all tiles. I personally just use them to "space", not also create a 90 degreee between tiles - like a peg and hence are not embedded and must be taken out. Tiles are not always perfectly true at the corners, and often the "tile creep" where the edges eventually becomes 1-2mm out can be linked to the use of spacers in this way.

2. By definition it reduces the grout depth, and why bother to allow this esp at the corner where water droplets could cling

Each to their own. All I can judge on is that quite often where a poor grouting job has been done you can see the odd spacer poking through. And no, I don't reuse them - I clean them up and put them in the local plastic recycling bin - perhaps someone in Ethiopia is using them right now. After all, they do live in mud huts

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

..and I thought most tilers flushed them down the loo.... ;)