Wall tiles first or vinyl flooring first?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Bargain Bucket, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Bathroom refurb is ready for tiling and vinyl floor (click type). Should I lay the floor first and tile down on top of the vinyl, or should I tile first right down to the floor and lay the vinyl so it butts up to the tiles, or should tile first leaving 6mm at the bottom to slide the vinyl under (laying the vinyl after the tiling is done)?

Many thanks.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Although not always correct a good rule of thumb is verticals first then horizontals. It applies to a lot of scenarios especially in your case.

I would wall tile to the floor and then lay the flooring using a colour matched sealant around the edge - you will probably find the instructions require a gap anyway. You will struggle to get the last click tile in if you are relying on fitting under a gap.

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Well-Known Member

Agree, also the reality is you will probably replace the floor before you re to, so you need to get the floor up without wrecking the tiles
    I would also not tile onto the floor, leave a gap a bit less than the floor thickness

4. OK. Thanks chaps. Much appreciated.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

With Quickstep Livyn click vinyl you only need to leave a 2mm gap. Do it neatly and a bead of silicone will cover that.