Wall Tiling over WBP Ply ...

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Matt_sx, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Matt_sx

Matt_sx New Member

... Does the ply need coating with anything before tiling?

Or any special tile adhesive needed

Thanks

2. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

i allways prime ply with bal bond sbr then use bal flexi adhesive.....bal is exspensive but makes for a good job

3. Matt_sx

Matt_sx New Member

Thanks for the reply Jiz.

Just googled said products and for the 4 square metres i've got to tile, its not that cost worthy! even though it's my own home

Any other options before I just slap them on the naked ply!

4. GKU

GKU New Member

Slap them on the "naked ply" as you put it and you will stand a good chance of the tiles falling off - the ply will suck the moisture out of the adhesive , that is why you prime the ply !!!!! - As **** said - prime the ply with BAL .

5. Matt_sx

Matt_sx New Member

OK

So marine ply absorbes moisture? sorry, never thought of that

Seounds like BAL is the only option

Thanks

6. GKU

GKU New Member

Yes , wbp ply does absorb moisture - the "wbp" (water & boil proof) refers to the adhesive used in between the layers of laminate not the wood itself - good luck mate.

7. Matt_sx

Matt_sx New Member

Appreciate your help Press16

BAL Bond it shall be

;)

8. Matt_sx

Matt_sx New Member

Any links to the best place to get this stuff from?

9. GKU

GKU New Member

You should be able to get it in TOPPS Tiles or Tilesource or most Tile shops , should'nt be a problem getting it - make sure you read the instructions fully , good luck buddy .

10. GKU

GKU New Member

Sorry , forgot to add - its called BAL-PRIME APD

11. Matt_sx

Matt_sx New Member

Thanks Mate

12. enjay

enjay New Member

I recently tiled a bathroom and the customer wanted the bath panel removed and a timber panel overtiled. So made up a frame from 2x2 fixed 12mm wbp panel and tiled it. The tiles were porcelanosa,and their 'butech tile to wood' no primer needed. A week later customer called me to say they didn't like the tiled panel after all, could I remove it and fit a new birch veneered bath panel (nothing wrong with the work, so obviously they were paying) simple job I thought! I have never worked so hard to remove wall tiles, this stuff welds itself to wood. I've always used Bal before but this stuff is the mutts nuts.

13. dhceramics

dhceramics New Member

If you are tiling with bal adhseives( cement based ) onto ply , you only prime the edges and the back of the ply with bal bond sbr and NOT the face of the ply.....

hope this helps..

14. GKU

GKU New Member

Yep , I'll second that (should have put that in earlier post) - It does say to do that on the instructions on the container , nice one buddy ....

15. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

i was told that guidelines have changed and priming all faces now. dont know if this is true

16. GKU

GKU New Member

I've just recently bought some BAL APD and it still says to prime on the back only ???? perhaps it was on old batch ? - I've not heard of anything different as yet mate .

17. Leoric

Leoric New Member

While on the subject...I want to ceramic floor tile upstairs bathroom. Already laid down over joists is 12mm chipboard, I think? The foundations in small bathroom (approx 2.5x3ft)are solid, so I wanted to put down 6mm WBP ply (for waterproofing and a bit of added strength) and lay down 6mm tiles over it - totalling a profile of 12mm + adhesive. But, I'm told that "green board" 18mm or 12mm marine ply is to be used - MIMIMUM for added strength or tiles will break!! Also, told to pull up existing board first to accomadate new boards? Is that really necessary?

18. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Whats this obsession with using ply for walls floors etc,whats wrong with aqua board,and hundreds of other derivatives of it i cant remember last time we used ply,on solid floorboards which are sound and well nailed down etc prefer to use aquapanel,which is as we all know totally impervious to water easier to cut and handle on site

19. Leoric

Leoric New Member

Whats this obsession with using ply for walls floors
    etc,whats wrong with aqua board,and hundreds of other
    derivatives of it i cant remember last time we used
    ply,on solid floorboards which are sound and well
    nailed down etc prefer to use aquapanel,which is as
    we all know totally impervious to water easier to cut
    and handle on site

Saw some aquapanel, wbp ply, and marine board at DIY store, but all I hear use 12mm thickness min. ply or marine board for rigidity as well as water proofing. I want to fit boarding over existing boarding which is fixed to floor boards, but not water proof! extra layers of board, adhesive and tiles, I'm told, should be done from floor joist level (ie, rip-up existing board) to allow adjecent room height matching? Not sure if aqupanel alone will be rigid enough? (But certainly waterproof.)

20. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

well actually it aint waterproof it just does not degrade in water. Minimum ply onto joists would be 22mm or 25mm in some cases. 12mm is for overboarding floors and aquapanel is for walls not floors. the thermal board is for floors