Wall Tiling/Skirting board question

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by MowdieWark, Nov 20, 2008.

1. MowdieWark

MowdieWark New Member

Is it best to tile a wall then fix a skirting board on top of the tiles, or best to fix the skirting board to the wall then tile to the top of the skirting board?

In my mum's house the tiles have been tiled to the top of the skirting board, but because the tiles are so thick (thicker than the actual skirting board), they look odd because they protrude the skirting board.

What do most tilers do on brand new walls?

2. I assume your talking about a bathroom.

If so tile down to the floor, no skirtings - old or new walls.

3. MowdieWark

MowdieWark New Member

Yes, it's for a bathroom. Are you saying that I shoudln't fit skirting board at all then?

4. It's your choice, I wouldn't, I think its looks better without.

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

No skirting, tile to the floor.

6. BUILDABOY21

BUILDABOY21 New Member

I tend to tile down to the floor if floor covering is also tiled. If carpet I tend to tile to top of skirting board.

In your case,assuming you have carpet...? and tiles are thicker than skirting I would tile to floor then stick skirting over tiles.

7. MowdieWark

MowdieWark New Member

Thanks for all the advice. There is laminate flooring on the floor, so I'll probably tile to the floor as Buildaboy suggested and stick skirting over the tiles. There is a bit of a gap between the wall and the laminate, so the skirt should hide it.

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Noooooo, just quadrant trim, full skirting over tiles will look awful.

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I did a solid wood floor with tiled walls last week, I used a slightly bigger notched trowel and tiled straight down onto the wood floor which covered the expansion gap.

As mentioned above, quadrant is your best bet now to hide the gap.

10. Again agree with Bathstyle, just a quadrant, fiddly to fix but will give the best result

11. multijack

multijack Member

would have to agree with the quadrant suggestions but would entertain the idea of using a plastic quadrant to avoid the risk of long term condensation damage to timber (especialy in a small room)...blackspot...mould...peely paint etc.

12. DIY_Man

DIY_Man New Member

I think that skirting is a personal choice. I'm not a pro but I think that a skirting board between wall tiles and floor laminate looks better than tiling down to the floor finish. In my bathroom I fixed a batten to the wall (less than a full tile above the top of the skirting) and tiled off that. I then fixed the skirting packing it off the wall to the position that I wanted and finally fixed a cut tile to fill the gap. I used a 6" torus skirting and packed it off the wall so that the tiles sat on and were flush with the top part of the molding.

Regards

iain

13. peterjg1972

peterjg1972 New Member

Just out of interest guys, what do you mean by quadrant?

Cheers