Walldrobe glue

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Ethanpeng, May 12, 2020.

1. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

My ikea huge walldrobe has a problem. There are two pieces on the back sealed with a tape but after so many year the tape is not working any more so I am thinking to use some instant adhesive glue to stick the backboard to the walldrobe, any advice? I need it to get dry very quickly. By the way the walldrobe is fixed on the wall it is hard to turn around. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Yes this is a common problem.
    My 3 wardrobes all done this. (MFI furniture)
    So I removed from wall (it was screwed to wall) refitted the rear panel & wood glued, (Gorilla Glue) then placed a 20mm thick 30mm wide wood trim along the back horizontally.(spare bits of timber I had)
    I did this twice per wardrobe. One approx 500mm up, & one 500mm down from top. For mine there was plenty of room at the rear of the wardrobe as I have an 18mm thick Timber attached to the wall, to make up for the skirting at the bottom. This also allows air to circulate at the rear of the units.
    Now its solid & should last another 20 years. :)

I appreciate this may not help in your situation.

Ethanpeng likes this.
  3. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Thanks but I don't want to do too much just glue it together.

4. markus11

markus11 Member

The quickest way would be to use mitre bond - essentially superglue and activator. Apply the glue to one side, the activator to the other and press and it will hold. No second chances though :)
    SF sell it for £5.49 - https://www.screwfix.com/p/mitrebond-aerosol-kit/28848
    it's clear glue so you won't notice it if it happens to drip.

A mechanical fixing of a few small screws might also be a good idea. Previously I have also run a bead of grip fill round the perimenter of the back board on the back and that makes a surprising difference.

But I do agree with @masterdiy a couple of batten across the back would help immensely.

WillyEckerslike and Ethanpeng like this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are these the Ikea Pax Range ?

Not bad wardrobes, ok for flat pack, it is what it is but, as to the size, the backs are rubbish and poorly thought out

Usual 4mm hardboard or similar but due to size, they’re just so bendy and that stupid tape across join - not even the usual plastic jointing strip that others use

Tape eventually dries out and falls off

Usual glues / grab adhesives to stick panels to sides/top/bottom

Just thinking, is there a gap between backs and wall - say where the robes sit in front of skirting board ?

If there is, could support the join on backs by sliding down a plank of wood full height of robes

As backs are so thin, not much strength to fix to but could use a stretcher plate on inside base of robe, then screw through back and into ‘plank’

Same at top

That way you’ve got timber screwed to base and top panels (can add some wood glue if you wish) and supporting full length of join

If there’s a fixed centre rail across robes, then screw through this as well into ‘plank’ to pull it in tight

Just depends if you’ve got this gap of say 18/22 mm ish ?

Ethanpeng likes this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You're pushing your luck glueing edge to edge hardboard especially if you don't want to pull the wardrobe out to provide access or clamping/tension.
    As has been suggested you can use grab adhesive to fix the board to the carcass sides - you've had a number of good suggestions already though.
    If you don't want the hassle of getting at the back to do a proper job - don't - fix the board together with gaffer tape from this side and then stick a load of clothes in front so you cannot see it. Who's going to know?

Ethanpeng and masterdiy like this.
  7. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Ok thank all . I decide to use superglue. I need to figure out how to use the kit. Why two pieces?

8. markus11

markus11 Member

The bottle is the glue, the can of aerosol is the activator - you apply glue to one side and activator to the other, press together and it will immediately stick.
    Test on some scrap first to see how it works and how much you need,

Ethanpeng likes this.
  9. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Thanks so so much .

10. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

One more question, apart from superglue is there any other product can be used to have instant bonding effect?

11. WillyEckerslike

Yes. I'll start you off
    Nails
    Screws
    Staples
    Hot melt glue (glue gun)
    Contact adhesive
    Double sided tape

gadget man and markus11 like this.
  12. markus11

markus11 Member

nothing is as quick (as far as I'm aware),
    you could use grab adhesive - it's cheaper but you ideally want to clamp/apply pressure as it drys which will be hours rather than seconds - you could apply grabadesive, then add some screws/pins to hold it as it drys.
    go solvent free to avoid the smell as it's in a bedroom, something like: https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-11665502-grab-adhesive-solvent-free-white-310ml/87451 would likely do the trick
    but you will need an applicator gun like: https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-gun/988hp to use it

13. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

I watched the videos about how to use the superglue but as you can see from my photo I probably can't reach the other surface ( the backboard is the one surface I can reach) so I am looking something else. I need to hold the backboard to stick these two parts together as I can't hold that long I need a quick job.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I asked in my reply, is there a gap between robe back and wall ?

15. WillyEckerslike

Make a T shaped hook that you engage behind the two boards so that you can then pull them towards you and apply tension to that. This can be by wrapping it around the hanging rail or similar method. Once the boards have set in place, cut the inside end of the hook off and push the remainder back out behind the boards letting it drop behind the wardrobe to be forgotten about.

Ethanpeng likes this.
  16. WillyEckerslike

There are dozens of solutions for this Dave but none of them appear palatable.

17. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Yes but I don't want to move it. I want a quick work use something to stick them together and that is it.

18. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

Smart!

19. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Not trying to be funny...but, in the time you have spent asking these Qs since 11.36 till now 16.48
    I had my wardrobes emptied, screws out, robes half turned, repaired, screwed back to wall, clothes put back, doors on (5) in less time.
    I think it was about 4 hours total. Then I painted 3 walls. Twice. In the same day. And, stopped for lunch.

That's why my Wifee calls me Master. (along with some other words) :)

Ps. See post 2!

20. Ethanpeng

Ethanpeng Member

I think hot melt glue gun is a good option. I use your method to put the back board back to me and then use hot melt glue gun to stick them together and it will bond them instantly what do you think Mr?