Wallpaper advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by lladro, Jan 31, 2011.

1. lladro

lladro New Member

Can anyone recommend a good cover-up wallpaper suitable to hide the shadow of a blocked up doorway?  Fault shows up depending on the direction of light, despite 2 layers of 1700 grade lining.  Will add a 2000 grade liner before applying the cover-up paper.  Dont like the Graham and Brown polystyrene stuff as don't want the walls to looks artexed (would rather have the shadow of the door!)  Considering the Wallrock Texture by Erfurt.  Anybody used it?  Will be painting it. Appreciate helpful advice.  Please dont suggest a skim, its not THAT bad.  

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Please dont suggest a skim, its not THAT bad

Sounds like you have dismissed the only thing that would be successful!

The finish is only as good as what's underneath ................ preparation.

I have used miles of WallRock, but again only as good as the preparation and is meant for rough walls as a cover up. You may have success with filling out the imperfections with Easifil.

3. lladro

lladro New Member

I dismissed the re-skim as the fault wasn't evident until I put the lining paper on.  It's only evident when artificial light hits it from one direction.  The fault was so minor that I expected the lining would hide it.  I did consider a plasterer and after some research dismissed the idea for the following reasons:

1. I would probably get charged for a full day's work for a single wall.
    2. There's no guarantee the job would be successful.  After all, the finish I was left with 10 years ago was the result of work by a professional builder.
    3. The skirtings and coving are top quality and I don't want to risk damage by a plasterer.
    4. The re-decoration is now at an advanced stage and I can't return to stage one.  My time is more important to me.

So that's why I said don't suggest a skim.  Actually, I think the most successful thing would be to remove the wall and rebuilt it.  The finish would be perfect.

I think you might be thinking of the wrong wallrock.   The one I have in mind has a textured finish.  I looked up Easifil and I doubt it would stick to the lining paper. 

I do appreciate that you've taken time to respond. I'm quite surprised by the lack of response from others. That suggests to me that I am more capable of solving this and do well to put my trust in myself alone.

4. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

lladro.
    If you want to paper over the cracks, then do it with Lincrusta.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The easifil will stick to the lining paper with no trouble. ;)

6. lladro

lladro New Member

Lincrusta is great! BUT have you seen the price of this stuff?  It would be cheaper to demolish the wall and rebuild!

7. lladro

lladro New Member

May try using this then. 

8. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Hi IIadro,

What you describe as the 'shadow' of a blocked up doorway is not a shadow but an outline, it is a physical fact.  The surface where the doorway used to be has undulations and so it is either proud, shy or a mixture of both.  You were given good, succinct advice by Astra but in trying to find an easy solution you are giving yourself unnecessary work and expense.  There is no miracle cure for correcting this fault.  If you do not deal with it properly now then it is going to continue to bug you.

Gyproc Easi-Fill is used as a joint filler and finish on plasterboard, where did you find the information that said it would not adhere to lining paper?

On the assumption that you follow Astra's advice and you do not currently own the following tools then I would suggest that you buy them.  They are all available from Screwfix.

!0" or 12" Taping knife (approx. £10 to £15).  Alternatively a Dry Liners' Trowel or Float - dished (approx. £15 to £20).  Pole Sander (approx £16) and/or a Hand Sander - head approx. same size as Pole Sander's head (approx. £7).

Using either the taping knife or the trowel lay-on the Easi-Fill following the outline of the doorway working both sides from the most proud points, thus providing a graduated span of filler of approximately 20 + inches( spread wider if necessary).  When this application has fully set then apply a second.coat.  Decide if it is satisfactory or whether it requires any further applications?  It is best to fill slightly proud and then reduce carefully with the sander.

When fully dry, rub down using the pole and/or hand sander feathering the edges into the main wall surface.  Do not use any stronger grit than 120 and do not exert too much pressure, finish with, say 220.

Do not expect a flood of P&Ds to come to your aid as since the new format of this forum came into being not many have returned.  Also, P&Ds do not have an inexhaustible amount of time to give in offering unpaid solutions to other peoples' problems. ;)

I hope you find the above useful.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

An excellent reply Goodwill and very informative.

10. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Excellent advice from Goodwill.

See, Goodwill - You can do it when you want. ;)

Just jokin'

11. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Hi Astra and Guttercat,

Thanks for your endorsements.

Best wishes