Wallpaper archive / library

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by sospan, Sep 4, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whilst remodelling a fireplace to fit a cooker range, I discovered an alcove that has been blocked up for well over a 100 years. The back wall of the alcove still has its original wall paper.

upload_2018-9-4_16-46-18.png

It will be a shame to lose it during the renovation and it should be conserved especially since it is in a remarkable condition. I can recall that there used to be a archive / collection of old wallpaper but can't remember their name - anybody recall what their name is ?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I believe a room at The House of Parliament has a room dedicated to old wall coverings.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Quite interesting, been in the Houses a few times, never heard it mentioned.

Within my fractured memory, I have a recollection of someone/somewhere maintaining a collection of old wallpaper patterns.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Try The Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In my black book.:)

If your wallpaper is worth perserving, it can be remove in complete sheets by the experts.

Think it's Cole & Cole who have hundreds, maybe thousands of orginal wood block patterns for wallpapers.

https://www.cole-and-son.com/en/bespoke-service/

A habit I have,making a list of trades & firms for preservation,products,etc, sadly I've let it slip the last few years, & some firms have gone.:(

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

upload_2018-9-4_19-41-27.png

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I used to have external drives full of e-books, PDF's, plans. diagrams, ideas etc. Just got so hard remembering what I had, what it was called and where it was.

Tried quite a bit of software over the years but given up now

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I received a response from them : "Unfortunately the society doesn’t have the resources to keep a collection, although we do keep a few pieces for training and other events. "

I even asked the National Museum of Wales, historic building recreation in St Fagans - no response which is really sad as they actually have a display of actual miners cottages as they were over the decades