Wallpaper onto painted lining paper?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by M Stubley, Sep 10, 2021.

1. M Stubley

M Stubley New Member

Hi
    Please can somebody help - I am planning to wallpaper over lining paper that is painted with vinyl silk emulsion. If I mix a strong paste and add some PVA will the paper stick or will it come away?
    Thanks for your help!

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Do not use PVA! It is the spawn of the devil for decorating, splashes on paintwork act like teflon and will not take paint.:( Just ensure the wall is free of any grease, size the wall with wallpaper size (really just thin paste) use a good quality paste on your paper and away you go, an ideal surface to wallpaper on.;)

Main problem with vinyl silk emulsion is if you want to paint matt over it often does not adhere well, sanding or better still coating with zinsser bullseye 123 primer is the answer in that case but wallpaper should stick to it just fine in my view.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  3. M Stubley

M Stubley New Member

Thanks for the advice - it’s much appreciated

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

A lot of ready mixed wallpaper pastes actually have PVA added to improve the bond - Halls Beeline being just one as an example

Just saying like