Wallpaper over filler

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Scott Shearer, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Scott Shearer

Scott Shearer New Member

Hello everyone,

I’ve used polly filla to cover some large holes and cracks in my walls. I’ve sanded down and I’m ready to wallpaper. Should I prime the wall before wallpapering with some watered down emulation or pva etc as I don’t want the wall to absorb all the paste?

cheers in advance :)

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Seal over the filled areas with emulsion paint thinned by about 25% with water, when dry seal the wall with wallpaper size or use a thinned down coat of the wallapaper paste and let dry overnight. Is the paper paste the wall?

Scott Shearer likes this.
  3. Scott Shearer

Scott Shearer New Member

Thank you for your advice, what ratio should I use for the wallpaper paste? And no it’s paste the paper I’m guessing this is better so it doesn’t absorb it so quickly?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Paste the wall is exactly what it says...paste the wall...no soaking time just put the paper straight up so a great time saver, with pasting the paper follow the hanging instructions provided with the paper as once pasted you will have to let it soak for between 5 and 10 minutes to expand/stretch whilst absorbing the paste.

The ratio of paste will be printed on the mixing and standing instructions, what paste are you using.