Wallpaper paste

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by polybear, May 1, 2007.

1. polybear

polybear Member

Hi,
    Any recommendations re: wallpaper paste brand please? This'll be my first go at papering - the paper will probably be a plain paper with an embossed pattern.
    I seem to recall rumours on here that Solvite was now cr*p - any opinions please? Thanks.

polybear.

2. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

Personally, not had any probs with Solvite, unless its with Laura Ashley papers, altho that's a while ago now.
    At pressent, the Pollycell stuff is good, and for the type of paper you post, I would probably use 10pt mix, but make sure that the walls are well "sized", in other words, a slightly diluted mix of paste, somewhere round a 16pt mix, some might recomend the dreaded PVA, this is not required and never has been, it's just become a "quick fix".
    The above is perectly useable, if in dout, then use some "glue size", mix as per instructions and away you go, although it does smell a bit when mixing!

3. chelski

chelski New Member

Read manufacturers instructions and see what they recommend first of all.

4. > I seem to recall rumours on here that Solvite was now
    cr*p - any opinions please? Thanks.

those rumours are wrong...

do you think the manufacturer would sell it if it was ****?

there's such a thing as quality control

5. T-C

T-C New Member

i had a job where the customer said she wanted to supply the adhesive, she bought it from a retail shop and it was solvite, but it was not the same fomular as trade solvite, and it was hard work. always buy the solvite from trade shops. i like to use beeline ready mixed adhesive. and agree with ckelski alway check with the paper manufaturer what they want u to use, as using any other product could void the warranty.T-C

6. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

No T482, they were not rumours and they were not wrong. After using Solvite for more years than I can remember, I had trouble with some a few months ago. The stuff was rubbish and i complained to Solvite who sent me a new pack which was Ok. Must have been a bad batch, although Telmay also had a problem around the same time.

As for Quality Control not allowing rubbish to be sold, what about the various cars, etc. etc. that have been recalled with dangerous manufacturing faults, or the (Sony, I believe) batteries that are currently all being recalled. Or the Tesco petrol that very recently was knackering engines. Where was Quality Control then?

7. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

i like to use beeline ready mixed adhesive.
    check with the paper manufaturer what they want u to
    use, as using any other product could void the
    warranty.T-C

So why do you use ready mixed then? and on a plan emboss? never seen that recomened before!
    Perhaps, for a really strong job....one that will not come off, they could have used Lincrusta adhesive!

Don't tell Select!

8. Telmay

Telmay New Member

T482, sorry your wrong on this account, the first batches of the new solvite formula were lousy, but they have now sorted out the problems.

Did you use it, have you used it? - you seem to have a point of view on everything on every forum on here, you must have a wealth of knowledge to share.

9. T-C

T-C New Member

Hi welshi i always use ready mixed past on everything i hang, as a select dec we are not tied into using their past just their paint, great to use less waiting time (soaking) stronger bond.T-C

10. polybear

polybear Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I purchased a box of Solvite from a Trade centre. Both they and another Trade centre hadn't heard of any problems with Solvite, so it looks like a short-lived problem.

I've sized the walls using Beeline size.
    One query - the wallpaper will be blown vinyl. Is it normal to go round corners by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then start a new piece? I've seen a book that suggests otherwise when using this type of paper. Also, is there a normal "soak time" and do you apply any further paste to the paper after soaking, or just hang it?

Thanks.
    polybear.

11. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Polybear is this a blown vinyl your going to paint?

There was a good link posted hear a little way back, might have been by moonshine (just read his posts) you might find that helpful

Just hang it after the soak there should be no need to apply more paste

12. Derek Brown

Derek Brown New Member

I agree with Welsh Decorator 42 regarding the non use of Solvite with Laura Ashley papers as the Laura Ashley store where we have just purchased our wallpaper did advise us not to use Solvite as that paste caused the paper to stretch.

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Active Member

Fetch the TARDIS

Jord86 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

If it's been soaking for 9 years I expect it would have stretched more than had it been left for between 5 - 10 minutes! :D