Wallpaper problem

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by furious_customer, Mar 25, 2020.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Have been wallpapering the spare room with some wallpaper from ilovewallpaper.com

Papering straight onto a wall that has only ever been painted - I am finding that when I present the paper onto the wall it grabs firmly instantly and won't let me slide it across a little to match the pattern.

Do I just need to be more generous with the paste?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it paste the wall? If so put more on if it's paste the paper also lightly paste the wall while the paper soaks as this will provide good slip.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Size the wall. Look that up. If wall is just contact emulsion seal with beeline sealer or size it. I prefer to seal. Guess surface is sucking paste too quick and it's grabbing. Damp sponge will take off contact emulsion with good rub if you want to test

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I would of advised sealing it but the op had already started......in fact I would of lined the wall first for a superior finish to be totally honest, but post went dead.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Wayners likes this.
  5. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Sorry for the slow replies guys!
    It is paste the paper - just realised that I hadn't been allowing the 5 mins soak time recommended so wondering if this was an issue?

I still have another wall to do so will size that one first.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes would be a problem as the paper will absorb the paste unevenly unless soaked correctly.