Wallpaper Stripper Advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by si22, Apr 4, 2007.

1. si22

si22 New Member

Hi All,
    My paper stripper has finally died and I've got quite a few jobs lined up where paper needs to come off. I did have some small Earlex thing and has lasted me a few years to be fair, the only thing to niggle at me was that after about 40 mins it would need filling up again.

Could any of you guys recommend anything to do the job? I've seen those expensive Earlex ones on here too, are they worth the money?

Si

2. reggie56

reggie56 New Member

Ive got the £150 earlex with built in step, really good and powerful. one tank full last about 2 hours, just enough sometimes to strip a complete room.

3. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

Try Zinsser DIFit is the doggies dangalies!

4. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I agree with Reggie...I had a pancake Earlex...really cheap and like yours it died. I hired the more expensive Earlex thingy from my local whatdyacallit and it was fabulous..changed my life. If you strip wallpaper often get one...it will save you that in labour. It has a better hose, better plate, is more efficient etc etc...it will pay itself off in no time I reckon if you are in that marketplace.
    BTW..Diff is good too but I would always want to have a steamer.
    Cait

5. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

I have had the same one from B&Q and it has lasted me years, and I keep a kettle on the boil, and every so often I just top the steamer up with boiling water,then 5 mins later I am ready for the off again.

6. Telmay

Telmay New Member

I use DIF 90% of the time, very good, however when working on old properties sometimes the steamer is the only option, had one this week, the DIF took care of the top multiple layers but the base lining paper had a nice layer of eggshell and an adhesive that the DIF could not handle!

7. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

I have had one of the Earlex Pro strippers for about 5 years and it's OK. Worth buying if you are a pro but not otherwise as you would need to strip a lot of paper to get your moneys worth. Only thing I did not like was that they don't supply a small plate with it. You can buy this separately, though. A point worth noting, especially for those who already have one, do not leave any water in the tank when not in use, as the tank will rust at the seams (as I found out to my cost) and a new tank from the cheapest source is over £70 if you fit it yourself. I was qouted £140 to have it replaced.

As Bobbie says, if you top it up with boiling water as you go you can use it almost continously without having to wait for it to heat up after filling

8. T-C

T-C New Member

definatly get a earlex pro one and always make sure you empty it befor storage

9. Burlington Bertie

I use DIF 90% of the time, very good, however when
    working on old properties sometimes the steamer is
    the only option, had one this week, the DIF took care
    of the top multiple layers but the base lining paper
    had a nice layer of eggshell and an adhesive that the
    DIF could not handle!

Tel, never used Diff. Is it any good for painted lining or painted wallpaper? How about eggshell, silk finished textured papers, woodchip etc? Does it remove the old paste clean enough?

10. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Hello BB, on most projects its great and does all of the above, you just need to perforate well with the claw. I have only had one job its has failed to impress on so far, and to be honest that was just a nightmare! Basically follow the mix and instruction and you will just take the old covering off in sheets and it dissolves the paste on the wall, you just need to give them a wash over with bleach to neutralize the DIF prior to any other work - buy a small bottle and give it a go mate!

11. Burlington Bertie

Cheers Tel. Will try it on my next stripping job. Just done a kitchen that had about 6 layers of paper - each one painted over. The arch through to the living room was the usual DIY job done with ply and MDF instead of plasterboard and plaster. That's the second arch bodge in the last 3 months

12. Telmay

Telmay New Member

biggest pains I have had recently BB is new builds and where ***** have pasted wallpaper direct to plasterboard with sealing the boards - the DIF is good for that, but still a pain all the same!!!!

[Edited by: admin9]