Wallpapering over MDF?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by nnelG_xelA, Jul 20, 2018.

1. nnelG_xelA

nnelG_xelA New Member

Hi,

I’ve almost finished building a feature fireplace for a client, and they want the inset/backing papered in a brick effect wallpaper.

I’ve used an acrylic primer/undercoat (Leyland) to prepare the surface, but I wondered which would be better - wallpaper paste or a spray adhesive from a can?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve also attached some pictures.

Thanks,

Glenn

Attached Files:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

PVA works.

Wayners likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Pva. You can buy in small bottles (wood glue)

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Or if you have some kicking about Zinsser Bullseye 123 to prime it and then use ready mixed wallpaper adhesive.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did a similar thing using plasterboard cut into briquette size (5" x 2") stuck on with Artex and pointed again using Artex with a couple of handfuls of sand to add texture, after pointing completed another couple of handfuls of sand added to the mix and thinned with water to form a slurry mix which was then painted /dabbed over the briquette face to provide a textured brick look. All finished off with emulsion paint once dry.

Jord86 likes this.
  6. nnelG_xelA

nnelG_xelA New Member

If I use PVA, would it need to be watered down?

@Astramax Sounds like an awesome project! Unfortunately, I'm not sure I would have the time for that. It's certainly worth keeping in mind though. Do you have any pictures as I would be interested to see?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, but can do that later on this month.