Walnut worktop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spen123, Apr 10, 2018.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I'e got to match a worktop thats been damaged. The customer got the origional one from wickes but have found a cheaper length online from worktop express. Will there be any difference from one companys worktop to anothers? Ino you can get different types but as ong as it' the same type will it be okay?

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

This is the worktop. Customers fitting the kitchen but has been damaged since install

Attached Files:

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Unless both company's are sourcing the tops from the same manufacturer, of course there will be a difference from one company to another. Colour being the first one, length and width of the blocks being the other.

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Colour could be matched, but as said size of blocks will always show up as different.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good advice.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What is the damage?

I

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Basically I had a plumber install he sink and do cut out. From the photo which is what he sent the sink loops fine. However the customer moved the dishwasher he other day and realistd he cut out was to big so the clamps where not used just silicone. Don' think I can do anything but change worktop. The plumber is away atm so a knew length will first come from my pocket plus the time to go and change it.

8. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Unless the worktop has expanded enough to make new cut out to big but I can' see that being the case?

9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

How about epoxy resin to hold the sink in place? A good few dollops of it underneath and it will never move. As long as there is no gap seen from the top and it is all sealed . Alternatively the plumber may have just been too lazy to fit the clamps so retrofit, find a way of making the clamps grip the edge, I.e by bending them or adding some small blocks?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sounds like it’s the customer at fault. What possessed him to move the dishwasher after the kitchen was installed ?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

More like a her & not a him that wanted it moved.:D

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You dont have to use the clips. It is better if you do but plenty of times I have dropped sinks in on just silicone.

Is the edge of the sink covering the cutout?

If so there really isnt a problem.

All ceramics are fitted on silicone only.

I have put composites and stainless in too on just a good quality silicone.

Is the sink moving about?

If it is then run under it with a stanley blade, take the sink out, clean it up and re silicone it in.

13. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Just spoken with customer he said there is know a visible gap of a 1mm or 2 from the top that' why he pulled out dishwasher

14. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Get a bigger sink

15. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Would be an option but look at the photo the sink bowl only just fits in the small single unit so without cutting the other unit it' not an option. I will just replace top at a cost of £600 on insurance then sort with plumber. Think if I had fitted kitchen or designed it then all the other options as very kindly suggested would be fine

16. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Yeah fair one mate, nightmare but prob the only option, just thought you may of been able to find a sink with a similar bowl size but with more of a Rim to cover the cut out I’ve fitted that sink and you only have about 8mm coverage, prob not going to be much cheaper than a length of worktop as it’s composite tbh

17. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Just one of those things but customers is okay just wants it fixed

18. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

1 or 2mm gap where? Is the cut out too large or is the sink standing proud of the worktop ?

19. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

One side of the sink cut out to large

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

My absolute first course of action would be to remove the sink, before committing to replacing the walnut.

Possibly the sink maybe able to be eased across to cover the gap.