Walnut worktop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spen123, Apr 10, 2018.

1. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

what you need is a polite formal letter documenting the discussion so far and requesting a site visit to inspect the issue and plan the remedy. If he refuses and goes to court then the court is very likely to throw the case out because he has not behaved reasonably to work with you. just keep a paper trail to show you are being reasonable at all times

KIAB and goldenboy like this.
  2. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Good advice.

The nature of the letter will also reinforce to him that you are taking the matter seriously and properly.

He may well have a genuine issue. If he has he will have no problem dealing with it sensibly.

What is the money situation Spen?

Are you owed or is it all paid up?

3. spen123

spen123 Active Member

He oiled tops on the he under side. 3 coats. I oiled top and told him it would need to have more coat some butility to follow the advise of the manufacturer. He installed dishwasher.
    All paid up a month ago.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Don't EVER take anyone's word for it without seeing for yourself, with your own eyes. If he's telling the truth then it shouldn't be a problem for you to have a look and try to rectify it. If you can't, then it's a new worktop, simple as that.

5. gpierce

gpierce Member

My first thought is if he's been mucking about moving the dishwasher, he may have been playing with the plumbing and had the sink out himself, it wouldn't surprise me.

With small claims, he has to give you a reasonable attempt to put things right. I would say a site visit prior to ordering is reasonable. He's already proven by hiring you (and getting you to sort the plumbing) that he is not an expert here - rule one in almost any game is that you don't trust other peoples diagnosis.

I would start by sending something in writing as others have said, apologise for the inconvenience (however don't accept liability at this point) and request a site visit to assess the situation. If I was in your position I'd want to see it in person (for example, I'd want to see the cuts - if three are clearly from a circular saw or a router, and one is from a jigsaw, this might suggest the customer has had a bash himself). If he still refuses then this would form my defense in small claims - the customer did not allow me to assess the situation to be able to put it right, I was more than willing to.... yada yada yada

As others have said, if you can fit the sink, add additional support underneath, and it shows no gaps, then put this in writing after the site visit - another letter stating you've been to assess, you believe it's down to the expansion of the natural wood worktops, and that you can make a repair without new worktops. Balls in his court then.

If the customer supplied the worktops and they have expanded, where were they stored? I'll bet the advice from Wickes is that they are stored in the same room they are to be fitted in for at least 3 days to allow them to acclimatise. If he didn't do this (they were stored in a garage etc) then small claims means nothing - he didn't follow manufacturers instructions designed to prevent exactly this scenario from happening.

Above all else - pictures pictures pictures! I took a reasonable number of people through small claims in my old job. Different industry, but the court is the same. I always had so much evidence that I won every case without really having to try. Take pictures before you touch anything at all. And as you take the sink out. And of all the cuts round the sink, pictures of measurements where needed, you get the idea. This is one of those cases where you can't take too many from too many angles, and they could save you a bundle.

6. goldenboy

Was the dishwasher installed before or after the tops?

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

One thing is for shure, the Plumber that cut the sink aperture out would have had to remove the dishwasher if it was already fitted.

8. goldenboy

I have an inkling as to what has happened here and why this customer is so cagey about letting Spen see the worktops.

If Spen could tell me the following.

Was the dishwasher in place before the tops got fitted.

When the sink went in was the dishwasher already there.

Or did Spen do the tops go on first, then sink went in, then dishwasher was put in.

9. goldenboy

Agreed. But the matter of whether the dishwasher had been fitted is key to this.

10. kitfit1

Oh yes absolutely.......................know exactly where your coming from on this.

11. goldenboy

Hold fire on this until Spen gives some answers. If the answers fit I am almost certain what has happened here.

12. kitfit1

Yep, of course i'll hold fire. It all depends on Spen's answer anyway :)

goldenboy likes this.
  13. goldenboy

Come on Spen. Give some answers!!!!:)

14. gpierce

gpierce Member

If you move the sink across...... So he has had the sink out. Because last time I fitted a sink and left it for a month, it didn't move side to side afterward.

I'd consider fitting a non-return valve on the waste, there's a strong smell of fish coming from the sink.

15. goldenboy

I wont wait for Spen!

I think the top went in lovely, then the sink went in lovely, siliconed and everything, but it was tight squeeze as the sink unit looks to be a 500mm. Then the customer went to fit the dishwasher and found that the tap tails slightly fouled the dishwasher. If you look at the pics it seems to be bang on where the DW slides in. He has tried everything but the solid bit of the flexibles just wont let it go in.

So he has had a think and has decided to take the sink out and just move it over a fraction to let the DW slide in. He has then messed it right up and is now trying to pin the blame on Spen and his plumber.

A few things point to this.

He absolutely has something to hide, hence his refusal to allow inspection.

The gap would have been visible immediately, why has he waited a month or so to tell Spen.

He as GPierce says has talked about moving the sink. That can only mean he has has the sink out. Why would a customer need to take a sink out?

KIAB, Jord86 and Astramax like this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

No sign of Spen maybe he is wearing a concrete overcoat :eek: or in this case a Walnut worktop!

17. goldenboy

There is definitely some thing hooky about this.

Customers behaviour is very suspect.

18. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Think you summed up the situation spot on!

goldenboy likes this.
  19. kitfit1

Yep, looking back through all the posts in the thread that would be the logical thought.
    Thing is though, the sink is made by Blanco and is designed to fit in a 500mm base, that includes the tap tails. If you look at the OP's first pic you can clearly see there is a pop up waste knob on the front of the sink as well. So clearly the tap tails and the pop up waste are inside the 500mm sink base. The customer would have had no need to take the sink out because of the tails.
    Let's just wait and see what Spen has to say.

goldenboy likes this.
  20. goldenboy

Still definitely reckon the customer has done something. The way he is behaving suggests he is hiding something.

KIAB likes this.