Walnut worktop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spen123, Apr 10, 2018.

1. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Oh yes yes 100% agree....................it's just that we think differently about what has happened. Until Spen actually replies..................me thinks i'll keep my powder dry lol :D

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Whatever it is it definitely isnt what the customer is claiming!

3. kitfit1

Oh yes, no doubt about that. Look at the pics in detail...................tells you all you need to know. As long as we have all the important pics.................which we havn't yet as it happens. Then it's a no brainer in my mind lol.

4. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Hi all sorry for delayed response.
    Dishwasher was fitted before tops went on.
    Imy thinking he didn' fit the moisture protection so the steam has caused the top to swell.
    I've spoken with wickes and have agreed the following.
    Order knew top and see what hasn' been done properly.
    If client hasn't fitted moisture protection then his fault. If he wants it replaced he pays.
    If the original cut out was correct as its on site still and barrier is fitted then wickes said they will pay for top but not fitting.
    If its plumbers fault then I'll sort it.
    If I can cover cut out with sink then I'll stand my ground

5. kitfit1

Ok spen, the following is my thoughts on this.
    Your plumber absolutely had to remove the dishwasher to cut the hole for the sink, did the plumber re-install the dishwasher or did the customer ? Whoever did it would have known if the vapour barrier had been fitted. On a solid wood top, apart from the metal vapour barrier that comes with most dishwashers the fitter should also apply a foil barrier to the underside of the top front to back and the width of the dishwasher. If the Vapour barrier is not fitted, it is defo the answer to the problem. Have you actually been to fit and had a look at it yet ?

6. goldenboy

Couple of things are still unanswered though.

Did the plumber silicone the sink in? If so why has the customer had the sink out?

Secondly why is he being so cagey about wanting a new top ordered before the existing one can be inspected.

I still think he has been up to no good. I still think he/"a mate" has tried to move the sink position for whatever reason. Maybe to get the dishwasher tight, perhaps to solve an issue with the corner post, whatever.

I would insist on the site visit first.

If he insists on the top being ordered in advance then get it delivered elsewhere otherwise you may end up with him taking delivery of the tops that you have paid for and then getting "a mate" to fit it instead and leave you hanging.

7. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Sink was cut with machine in situ. No need for it to be moved.
    Yes the sink was siliconed in all the way around.
    I don' think he has removed sink I think has either knocked the sink over or he hasn't installed the dishwasher correctly.
    The top will be sent to me.
    I' two hours away and dont have the time to spend a day looking at unfortunately.
    If I prove it' his issue then I don' loose out. The top can go back and he will have sort it at his own expense.
    I'e got a picture of it fitted and the dates and I have the date of when he contacted me regarding the issue. About a months difference.
    If it turns out no protection above dishwasher has been installed then I don' think.me or the plumber could possibly be held responsible.

8. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Cut out in dishwasher space gap visible but no foil used in space

Attached Files:

9. goldenboy

Spen, if the sink was siliconed in and the customer is saying when he slides it across there is a gap both sides, it sounds to me like he has cut the silicon for some reason.

10. kitfit1

This should be "end of conversation" with your customer. The dishwasher has not been installed as to the dishwasher's manufactures instructions or for that matter the worktops manufactures instructions.
    I would very much like to know though spen..............how did your plumber cut the worktop hole out with the dishwasher still in place ?

11. kitfit1

Yep, this whole thing has a very fishy smell to it.

12. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Circular saw and multi tool. I didn' want the kitchen touched. If I haven' installed it is wouldn' want myself or anyone else responsible for it.
    We will soon see. I'l be going next month with knew top. If I can cover the gap then I'm doing nothing else. If the gap has increase from origional cut out size then his fault for not installing machine correctly.

13. goldenboy

I would seriously be inclined to tackle it like this.

Pitch up on the agreed date "to fit the new top"

Make it clear if he must be present.

Go prepared with a set of paperwork that covers all eventualities ready for a signature

Inspect the situation. Take loads of photos.

If its clear he has messed around with job, ask him to pay in advance for the new top and 50% up front of the new goodwill reduced (but really not)fitting charge. Plus sign an agreement.

Ditto if he has failed to follow the manufacturers instructions.

If he wont then walk away.

If you can get zero gap then all is fine. Again get him to sign an agreement.

I seriously think that he has messed around with it, I also think his reasons for not allowing inspection are that his messing about is very obvious. I.E your mate cut it out with a circ and a multicutter and customer has "tuned it up" with a ragged edged jigsaw cut.

Whatever the circumstances, his conduct strongly suggests he has something to hide.

KIAB and spen123 like this.
  14. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Yes I think your right. Ive not gotten arsey with him and have left it that I'll be down with knew top when it arrives.
    Once I'm in the property I'll inspect sink as you said if I get a zero clearance gap then thats as far as I will go if he wants to go to court then carry on. I'l take lots of pictures and pictures of the incorrectly installed dishwasher.
    I'l type up a cover my **** letter that if the knew top is fitted no gurantee will be offered due to a third party fitting kitchen and the top coming from a manufacturer that I havent specified.

15. Dam0n

Dam0n Active Member

Sounds like a solid plan Spen. Don't spell "new' with a k though on the document o_O

16. goldenboy

Unless it is "as soon as I lifted out the sink and saw that the customer had increased the sink cutout using a bread knife I knew something wasnt right"?

Dam0n likes this.
  17. spen123

spen123 Active Member

Just an update for everyone who helped.
    Wickes sent out a worktop free of charge as an apparent jesture of good will.
    I sent loads of pictures to them and left it with them.
    I went back last week and replaced top.
    Everyone happy