Washing machine valve that can be turned on and off every time

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

The normal valves are obviously not made to be turned on and off every time the washing machine is used - they get stiff after a few months of this repeated use, but I have a client who insists on turning the cold feed valve off everytime she finishes a load. She got flooded once thanks to a dodgy washing machine.

I'm looking for the best washing machine valve that can be turned on and off on a daily basis, the same as any tap. One Idea I had was an outside tap with thread on it. I know the thread is the same - Are there any more suggestions please?

2. Allhours

Allhours New Member

Just put a stop tap before the washing machine tap?

3. tetleyman

tetleyman New Member

Fit a lever type valve for her for ease of use may be better than a stoptap which may start to leak after a while from the gland nut

4. musky1

musky1 New Member

Break all her fingers,that,ll stop her picking her nose aswell. :^O :^O

5. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O :^O :^O - Yowza !!!!

6. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

If it an old girl, then I would suggest a "sure stop", before the washing machine valve. One flick of the switch and it's off(think they have a 20((?)) year warranty).
    Other than that the next best would be lever arm.

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Just fit a dummy switch, she'll never know! ;)

8. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

Get a filling loop from B.E.S. and use the tap off that, they are cantilevered as oposed to levered like the cheap ones, if you understand what I mean.

9. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

"If it an old girl, then I would suggest a "sure stop", before the washing machine valve. One flick of the switch and it's off(think they have a 20((?)) year warranty).
    Other than that the next best would be lever arm."

Yeah that should see her out, subtle aint you me old blue nose.

10. Devil's Ad.

Devil's Ad. New Member

Hi CC.

In-laws had a flood (more a slow 'wetting' problem over a few weeks...) due to cracked drum in old wm.

They bought a Smeg to replace it - after installing it (integrated - what a b'st'rd...) I sat down to read the instructions - the 'funny' thing attached to one end of the feed pipe was a leak detector which automatically shuts off the supply to the machine if it tries to take in water when it shouldn't, and - get this - the machine also had a built-in under-tray with float-valve operated emptying pump chust in case it develops a leak despite the above.

Pretty damned impressed, I was... (and lots of Brownie points from in-laws).

Other than that, fit a good quality lever-ball valve as mentioned above if there is good access, or a remote shut-off switch thingy as also mentioned above...

11. Devil's Ad.

Devil's Ad. New Member

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

How about buying a quality ball valve from Pegler rather than a cheap bit of tat (tap) that will fail if you sneeze near it.

No wonder most of the gas from Russia keeps disappearing. It's not Khazakstan nicking it at all, it's a cheap BeeAndPoo washing machine tap.

13. Cornish Crofter

Thanks guys.

I think the lever valve is the answer. I would like to find one that the washing machine inlet can screw straight onto but failing that I may have to use an coupler of sorts.

14. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

15. Cornish Crofter

Thanks guys.

I fitted the Hep 2O version of what Tappy suggested. Plumbase in Tavistock sold me one with an imperial thread on one end, so it could accomodate the washing machine connection, and was thus a direct swap for the old ball valve. IIRC it came to less than the £3.99 Screwfix want for that!

16. Bert Large

Bert Large New Member

Surprised to hear that you managed to get anything at a reasonable cost from Plumbase in Tavistock !
    Last time I was in there they tried charging me a tenner for one of there own brand TRV's.
    Is Kevin still manager in there Cornish ?