Washing machine waste - smelly clothes and cupboard

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cocorita, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Have you tried drain unblocker gel in the waste pipe overnight then pouring water down it in the morning?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ok. I've been asking uncle Google because I was sure you can't connect a machine waste like you have. I was correct.
    The washing machine does need venting to stop it siphoning water back into the machine.
    You can buy anti siphon valve for £6 but I think you need to sort that waste out and run for a few weeks.
    Waste pipe from machine just needs pushing in an open topped waste pipe.
    When machines are fitted to sink wastes they vent through plug hole but yours being sealed is pulling the rotten gas back in the machine.

3. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

No, I didn't tried that. Do oyu have any recommendation? I tried with sodium bicarbonate, mind, and 90 degrees water, and it looked ok. But it might try. I don't know how much money i've already spent trying stuff. :(

4. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

As I said before, this closure at the top of the waste pipe was not fitted and the smell was there. The waste pipe was open before and the smell was already happening. I removed it now because I'm willing to try anything, but I don't think is the issue.
    The smell in the cupboard is very strong (and it has been very strong since moved here, 6 months ago and kept happening across two different washing machines), it happens in the hall next to the cupboard as well (only when I run a cycle and it stays there for a few hours) and the clothes smell like soap scum.

5. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Next thing to consider is the soil vent pipe. I removed mine and fitted a dergo on the soil pipe which is now internal (loft)

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Soil_vent_pipe

I've never heard of this causing a problem but maybe worth looking at. Either you or the neighbors house needs a vented outside soil pipe, but like I said. Never heard of trouble.

Cunning plan.
    Out of sheer frustration, drag washing machine out and drop waste in a kitchen sink. Tape it to tap and run machine for a few days and see if smell goes. Either machine or cupboard smells. Let's find out which...

Cocorita likes this.
  7. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I have no clue where the vent pipe should be. I live in a tenement, so no idea where that is, but might be worthy investigating. Sadly that is out of my league (as far as I know)
    I cannot move the washing machine from that cupbard. The kitchen is extremely small and same with the bathroom, and the only place I have to fill it up, is in that cupboard. I tried what you suggested, mind, in regards with the water drainign to a container, and it looks like a milky liquid:

[​IMG]

8. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

are you sure the water is getting to machine

9. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Very small test amount, I would try putting the hose into a bucket and put it on rinse to see what drains out of the machine. As it is new then I would expect it to work like this, my money is on the pipe partial blockage beyond the trap and the Washing machine sensor stopping the cycle before completed rinse cycle giving the dirty water smell. If this works ok with bucket then I would repeat the exercise with the pipe back in the trap and watch to see if the cycle repeats same as the bucket one.

Cocorita likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Do your socks run to the washing machine and dive in when you take them off? If so, that is your issue! Stinky feet!

11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

When it was like that was the washing machine pipe perhaps too low down the drain pipe, i.e. into the water in the bend?

Also, clutching at straws a bit here... is there any possibility that there is a problem with the water flow INTO the machine? Are you sure it's clean mains water going in?

Cando

12. wainfleet

wainfleet New Member

13. wainfleet

wainfleet New Member

How often do you use the machine? Also - does your tap water have a funny smell (not chlorine).
    I am wondering if there is enough time for the water to get really smelly if there is not enough chlorine in the mains. Where I live they claim the water is OK, the water supplier sent a chap to check after I complained and it took over half an hour of running the tap before his gadget would record any chlorine at all, and that is after already running a bath, using the dishwasher and the washing machine that day.
    The comment about the machine not draining fully is a good idea, the pump on my old dishwasher was packing up and it appeared to be working but actually stopped well before the end rinse.

Cocorita likes this.
  14. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I have the washing machine pipe almost at the border of the drain, so I think the height should be fine.

I checked the inlet water and it seems perfectly fine.

So, now I ran a rinse cycle with no clothes, no soap, nothing. The first bucket came quite dirty:

[​IMG]

the second it was much clearer, but with some lint in it (where that lint is coming from?? might be blocked somewhere?)
    Could it be the case that is not draining completely? When I move the machine, I can hear a sloshing sound, but I think that is the balancing water (the label says water balanced indeed)

15. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

You can try Mr Muscle Gel Max Power Drain Unblocker - available from most supermarkets.

I know you said it's a new machine, it might still be worth checking the filter for blockages.

Do you use liqui-tabs?

Cocorita likes this.
  16. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I checked the filter today. Pristine and no foul water coming from it.

I don't use liqui-tabs. I use liquid Persil and Ariel mostly.

17. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

I uset it around once a week. The tap water is ok, doesn't have any smell at all.
    Do you know how to identify if the pump has any issues?

18. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If the pump had issues, you'd hear loud noises during the draining cycle or water wouldn't be draining properly from the machine.

The all-in-one machines aren't that great at washing or drying and Indesit seem to have quite a few problems.

Cocorita likes this.
  19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Do you know where the stand pipe empties to and is it an independent pipe run, say terminating at a hopper or does it connect to a soil pipe or other pipe run ?

Clearly the trap ‘should’ deal with stopping any smells coming back up pipe but isn’t

Haven’t read all posts but does it smell 24-7 or only when machine is in use ?

20. Cocorita

Cocorita Member

To be honest, this is the 4th indesit I have and the first two were brilliant.
    In the flat I was living before, I had the same model when I bought the flat (freestanding) and changed it for the same model but integrated when I remodelled the kitchen. This flat (rented) had the freesdtandign model wqhen I moved in. It broke (it was 7 years old) and the landlord asked me to buy another one to replace it (they paid it back to me). This new one is not perfectly nice as teh others. I feel it more noisy and it looks a bit lower quality, but who knows?

DYIDave, I have no idea where the pipes go. It's a rented flat, so no clue.
    The smell is constant in the cupboard (24/7), and it extends to the hallways outside the cupboard when running a cycle (funnily enough, the smell doesn't go to the bedroom where the cupboard is, unless I open the door of course).
    Then, when I put the clothes to dry completely in the radiators, the smells disseminates through the house, until the clothes are completely dry, and then it stays for a couple of days. Is awful.