Washing machine worn brushes & Interlock

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by soabar, Jun 23, 2022 at 10:46 AM.

1. soabar

soabar Member

I've got a Hotpoint machine with a clicking door interlock that's stuck mid cycle (drain). I've removed the interlock, cleaned the contacts & it appears to be working as it should.

It's been suggested that worn motor brushes may be causing the interlock to cycle - is this feasible or myth?

The machine is a standard floorstander that been DIY "intergrated" & a complete marathon to get out & in of it's hole, so I haven't managed to get round to checking the brushes yet.

Thanks.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've repaired dozens of washing machines over many years, and have never encountered one with worn out brushes. As such I would say it's pretty unlikely to be them that are causing your issue.

3. soabar

soabar Member

Strange - this would be our 3rd Hotpoint & all have required brushes at around the 4>5 year mark. This one is only around 3 years old, so it's a bit premature in comparison to previous & the other have just stopped without any interlock cycling.

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

as above - failing brushes will not cause an interlock problem. Best advice if you have to take the machine out for a reason is to bin it and buy a decent make

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Do you mean that the machine fills with water, stops then pumps the water out?

If so check the air pressure pipe coming up the side of the drum to the pressure switch hasn’t fallen off allowing the machine to overfill with water.

6. soabar

soabar Member

It's finished the drain cycle & emptied & is stuck at the end of drain / start of spin. I wasn't about when it did this, but I think it either partially spun or didn't spin at all.