washing rollers out?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Aug 18, 2021.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Do people on here wash rollers out after using them?

Its a job I hate and now I'm wondering is it easier to just bin them after using them in a colour?

I have an old Belfast style sink in my garage with running cold water but I was wondering is there an attachment that fixes to tap that washes them automatically? but then im on a water meter so is it even worth bothering about and just bin?

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This question comes up fairly regularly on here - look through the search facility for various suggestions

Guess no direct answer to this though - depends on several factors;

Quality and cost of roller sleeve

Short pile, medium or long - impacts on how much paint is held by sleeve

1 off decorating job or likely to use sleeve again

Quality of paint - some have little pigment so sleeves/brushes wash out easily. Other paints take a lot more rinsing to remove all traces

Water meter or not and/or bothered about eco impact of paint down the drain and water quantity used

Time factor

And probably moreā€¦..

I rinse out under cold running tap, massage sleeve with hands and squeeze out surplus paint, rinse a few more times

Leave to soak in a bucket with a squeeze of washing up liquid and agitate sleeve now and again when remember

Leave to soak for a day or two, rinse again under running water, leave to soak again if still paint bleeding out

Guess total time spent cleaning may be 15 minutes, split over a day or 3 (this usually includes washing out brushes at same time)

Various gadgets and gizmos for roller sleeve cleaning, most involve spinning the sleeve and using centrifugal force to spin out paint, even attaching sleeve to a drill (sounds messy)

I just use my utility room sink and a 10lt paint bucket and a dash of Fairy - it works

3. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Why would a painter ask how to clean roller out.?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes. Wash out with water for 2 mins.
    Then 24h with washing power or liquid and water.
    Spin
    Wash out for 1min
    Spin.

If you can be bothered it pays to use fabric softer after washing over night and spin again then dry out.

Get a few washes out most.

I tend to wrap mine through the week with cling film and do the lot at weekend

nigel willson likes this.
  5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

? Im not asking how to clean one out but is there any quicker way or just bin them.

In the middle of winter thats the last thing I want to do, over the years there has been things to attach to your tap etc but none of them stay around for too long.

I was thinking about making something but im on a water meter now so not sure if it would be worth connecting something up and letting the water run over it for 10 mins.

I also used to have an old washing machine in the garage, used to save them up and then bang them all in for a quick 30mins wash

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I use the shower on maximum flow and coldest setting. This is usually the highest pressure setting.
    I just spray the water on the roller whilst holding the handle. The roller will start spinning very fast and can be cleaned in 5 minutes.
    You do need to direct the water flow at the correct angle for it to get spinning though.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Takes me 2 mins then soak then a couple more minutes following day. That's it.

I do use a drill spinner in plastering bucket.

As for the water spinners contraption, unless you have waste land don't bother. Paint everywhere and a flood. Cover walls and car with paint if not carful

Want the real easy way is put rollers in washing machine