Wasing Machine waste connection

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Haveago, May 14, 2004.

1. Haveago

Haveago Guest

Screwfix catalogue, product code 11180 'Appliance Trap Adaptor' can be used for the waste pipe from a washing machine/Dishwasher to connect to. Am i right in thinking that the waste pipe attaches to the adaptor as a push fit, if so is the joint just relying on a tight fit or are there specific additional clips that should be used to ensure a secure fit between the two, or should i just use the good old fashioned jubliee clip?

2. i just push them on they don't normally leak or you could use a hose clip but there's no special fitting

3. bleeding_knuckles

bleeding_knuckles New Member

I find twisting whilst pushing gets them nice and snug, and a bit of Duck tape finishes the job! Can you tell i'm not a plumber?

4. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Yes, just a push fit and a little bit of washing up liquid on the spigot can help it push on more easily if it is tight. There is no real pressure on the joint as the washing machine pump is not powerful enough to build up any sort of back pressure.

One problem can be ham fisted wedging of all the cleaning stuff in the under sink cupboard like big Comfort bottles and the like. This could inadvertently dislodge the fitting so warn the Mrs of this.

Other than that I cannot think of anything else.

DWD

5. bilco

bilco New Member

It would be prudent to use a hose clip...allow the hose to rise above the connection before falling back to the Washer (stops waste from sink lodging in the hose) and fix it.

6. Haveago

Haveago Guest

Thanks to all who responded to my query.