Waste carriers licence

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by fillyboy, Aug 2, 2018.

1. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I must have missed that, who said there was an epidemic?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Seriously rather than being pedantic why not actually discuss the issue.

I dont know a single person who has had any issues with this matter.

I often have a bag of general rubbish in the van as do most of my mates.

Never a problem.

Have you or do you know anyone who has?

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes builder for having dustpan and brush in a bucket in 2014 at a local road side stop. Think these stops/checks are very few and very far between

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What did he get for it?

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes even though retired we nailed one guy circulating a few streets nearby, going round and round and as he went was looking in the gardens and properties. The local law caught him and called out the local council to check his permits - which has been doctored. They also impounded his truck.

One of the side benefits of a waste carrier licenses is that they can stop a lot more foreign vans and lorries. because they have tightened up payments in scrap yards a lot of stolen metals was going to eastern europe on the "empty" return journey

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Those arent really minor violations though.

They are exactly the kinds of offences that the system is designed to catch.

I am talking about the spirit of the the original article.

Ordinary tradesmen being victimised by jobsworth council busybodies on a power trip for minor offences.

Allsorts likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

£300 fine

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

He should have appealed that for sure.

9. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Just wonder which is better cost efficiency!

Clearing up fly-tipping, or getting rid of waste tipped at refuse centres for free?

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Apart from the controlled check points where the Police, VOSA, DWP and Council are involved there are very few instances where the council would be able to enforce the licencing as they cannot stop and search a vehicle. Even if a Trades person is stopped for a motoring offence, I have never experienced anybody contacting the council to verify if they have the correct waste licence.

Likewise it is rare that the traffic guys will get a mobile weighbridge out a put a vehicle on to check its weight. One of the most common reasons that vans get stopped is doing 60 on national speed limit roads where it is a single carriageway. They number of people that have been driving Transits for years and never realised that they were limited to 50 is quite staggering.

11. HarDeBloodyHarHar

He didn't fancy a brush with the law!
    He's bin there before.
    Licence down the pan.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Where I am, there is a private tip where it costs £39 for a tipper /van load. We already have a huge problem with fly tipping both commercial and residential - many respectable residents (even a local minister) see nothing wrong with turfing all their junk into the back lanes. However, when the local council did a survey on the traffic they found that 40% of the vehicles using the site were commercial.

So what did the council do - ban all commercial vehicles from using the tip :oops:

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

He was a builder. Should have had a licence anyway but he never heard about it. Really the law should be more clear. Who needs one and who doesn't.

14. HarDeBloodyHarHar

Your own sandwiches, crisp packets and drink bottles, is not ever commercial waste. I'm damn sure some lawyer would take the case on -no win no fee- and ***** the councils harses.

Bloomin Scarper likes this.
  15. HarDeBloodyHarHar

S P ank

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not being funny or anything but why should tradesmen be able to dispose of trade waste for free?

Big companies should have strategies in place.

Small companies and sole traders should do the same.

17. HarDeBloodyHarHar

For one thing a helluvalot of their waste is recyclable.

That that isn't, fair enough.

18. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

It's ironic though, they introduce a licence to prevent illegal movement of waste and generate a massive fly tipping epidemic.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ron12 likes this.
  19. HarDeBloodyHarHar

i think 'ironic' is too kind a word for it.

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Is there a massive flytipping epidemic?

Flytipping has always gone on.

Trade waste has certainly for the quite substantial past been paid for.

I havent seen a significant increase local to me.