Waste pipe issue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stephen12345, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Stephen12345

Stephen12345 New Member

Hi guys. Wonder if anyone can offer any advise. I am getting a kitchen fitted but where I want my washing machine to be there is a lead pipe which goes into a cast iron down pipe outside which is in the way of me getting my machine in far enough.
    I will attach some pics. Was wondering if it is possible to replace that pipe with a flexi pipe so I can push the washing machine back past it. And there is some small copper pipes which would need put under the floor. Any advice of his is a easy fix or if anyone has any other suggestions would be grateful.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Cast iron downpipe,does it empty into a drain gully or straight to below ground pipe.

Ideally I would do away with the lead pipe & core drill a new hole through wall for new waste pipe,where is washing machine in relation to sink & it's waste outlet.

3. Stephen12345

Stephen12345 New Member

Hi kiab. Thanks for a quick reply. The iron pipe outside goes into the ground. The kitchen is totally empty and I will show a pic of the rest of the pipe works. From the right hand side is my main water pipes running down the former of the wall. Then I plan on having my washing machine where the socket is. There will be a gap between to wall and machine so not to cover the cockstop for mains. Then there will be my sink. One of the copper pipes is also for my outside tap. Sorry if I am not explaining very well I am not a Plumber lol.
    There lead waste pipe that sticks out had dents in it so I can't even cut it closer to the wall as there won't be a water tight seal. And it is packed with putty I think around the pipe so wondering if I can encourage the lead pipe out of the wall and replace it with a flexi pipe so the washing machine can be pushed further back into the wall. The machine will stick out about 10cm from the counter as it stands with the pipes the way they are.

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Not ideal having WM 10cm protruding into a room, any spills from worktop will run off onto top of WM, then you'l end up pulling out WM to wipe up spill.
    A bit of a muddle all that pipe work,ideally needs some thought to rearranging layout, lead pipe I think will eventually cause you more problems with possible leaks.

What is cast iron pipe outside,is it a stack pipe for toilet, got a photo..

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

To be honest, most of the other existing needs ripping out and renewing.

I would suggest starting with the incoming mains feed, turn it through 90 degrees just above the floor to bring it along the wall so it will not be behind the washing machine either and maybe replace the stop tap with a full bore lever valve. Then connect it back to vertical feed in te corner. Redo all the pipework in your choice of either copper or plastic (Hep2O is my preference)

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Agree about full bore lever valve,much quicker to use.

7. Stephen12345

Stephen12345 New Member

Sorry for not replying guys. I am at work at the moment. I will get a picture of the iron cast pipe outside once I finish. I appreciate all your input. He lead pipe has dents in it so I can't even just cut it shorter and then put the little copper pipes under the ground. I think that would be easiest way forward. The plumber that is being used to fit the kitchen dosnt think it's possible to do anything with he lead pipe. I had to suggest to him about taking it out and put a flexi pipe in instead of so it bend around the back of the washing machine. But I am going to try and sort out the pipes with some help from the dad and let him deal with the pipe work for the sink and dishwasher.